Author Topic: Getting an expensive out of warranty item repaired or replaced.  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Getting an expensive out of warranty item repaired or replaced.
« on: Monday 26 November 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I bought a television in September 2015. A few days ago it developed a fault, stripes across the screen. I have performed a factory rest and the problem is still there. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that an item should be reliable "...in the UK, for many years our rights have actually extended to a much longer period, sometimes up to six years. " Please see this link for full details.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1690541/Currys-fixed-broken-TV-after-26-months.html

Have you had any experience of this?  I contacted Amazon earlier, and they are referring it to a higher authority. 

Martin

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Getting an expensive out of warranty item repaired or replaced.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
This is the sticking point in regard to the 6 year  warranty  period ;

It is up to the consumer to prove that the product was defective when they bought it, and this is pretty much impossible to do]
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Youngtug, thank you, I will look into that.  I think with social media, i will be able to find numerous other instances of this.  I will report back with any progress.  I am extremely polite when complaining and VERY tenacious.

Martin

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
where did you get it martin?

I wrote to Tesco Customer Services a few years back. Father had bought TV / DVD player and it failed 3 months out of 2 year warranty.

EU rules say product must function for a reasonable period i.e. a TV should be significantly more durable than 12months.

Anyway he originally bought it for £135 Tesco refunded £90 after 2 years 3 months and he bought a replacement for £95

I think most high street stores have an "out of Warranty" claims procedure

deebel

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Getting an expensive out of warranty item repaired or replaced. type of case
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
We had a TV just over 3 yrs old when there was a small explosion as it was switched on. Took it back to ASDA and got all our money back.  ;D No argument, believe Which have written about this type of thing, think TVs should last at least 5 yrs.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
A television I bought several years go developed a fault, admittedly not so far not of warranty as yours. I e mailed the manufacturer, I know really that the supplier is liable but I thought I would go to the top as it were. I received an e mail from them telling me to contact a local dealer/repairer, ask them to examine the set and pass any repair bill on to them. I would have to pay any transport costs.

The repair cost more than the set when I bought it but it was on offer on line.

In my e mail to the makers I pointed out that it was not an unreasonable expectation on my behalf that the set should last longer than it had. This belief is, as I understand it, an accepted principle.

The set is till going strong. At least it was last night.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
We had a 2009 purchased TV fully refunded in 2013, after some long, drawn out communications and lots of quoting of standards and expectations. We did have to pay £20 for an independent shop to give their opinion on the cause of the problem, but this too was refunded by the company asking for it.

Be confident in your dealings with the company, and do not accept their initial response if you feel it is unfair. The broken-record technique of re-stating the issue and your aims each time they seem to be ignoring them, can work to good effect too. Plus, always be polite in your dealings, respect and acknowledge their comments, but clearly state why (if it is the case), you disagree with them and provide evidence to back up your reason/s.

Edit:

Just noticed your earlier comment:

.   I am extremely polite when complaining and VERY tenacious.   

You could be my twin!  ;D
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
We had a 2009 purchased TV fully refunded in 2013, after some long, drawn out communications and lots of quoting of standards and expectations. We did have to pay £20 for an independent shop to give their opinion on the cause of the problem, but this too was refunded by the company asking for it.

Be confident in your dealings with the company, and do not accept their initial response if you feel it is unfair. The broken-record technique of re-stating the issue and your aims each time they seem to be ignoring them, can work to good effect too. Plus, always be polite in your dealings, respect and acknowledge their comments, but clearly state why (if it is the case), you disagree with them and provide evidence to back up your reason/s.

You don't say how long you had the TV before it failed. Under the sale of Goods Act if it failed within 6 months it is assumed that it was faulty when you bought it and you can claim a full refund (unless it failed due to misuse). Anything after this time and up to 6 years you can claim your money back minus a reduction due to your useage, so if the TV was proved faulty and unrepairable after 3 years your would get 50% back, not the full price you paid for it.
If you managed a full refund for the TV and it was first reported faulty after 6 months I would say you were very fortunate (as well as being extremely curteous; firm and polite always better than ranting and raving)

Simon

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a 7-year-old Hotpoint double oven.  I do not buy extended warranties because most of the time you are spending more on the insurance than you would on a repair.  My grill switch went wrong and the bill for repair was 90 pounds, still cheaper than the extended warranty would have been over the period.  However, I could not pay the 90 pounds in one fell swoop.  I had to buy 6 months of extended warranty to pay for it, necessitating the bother of setting up direct debits etc.  Needless to say, once the 6 months was up I discontinued the DD.  Since then, I have had numerous letters offering extended warranty... ???
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee