Author Topic: Getting an expensive out of warranty item repaired or replaced.  (Read 4550 times)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Getting an expensive out of warranty item repaired or replaced.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 December 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes Maiden Stone however everything you describe is a normal part of the domestic environment for which a TV is designed. It should be designed sufficiently robustly to cope with all of the above conditions and perform satisfactorily as expected for many years. If it fails after 7 or 8 years then maybe it is time to bite the bullet but catastrophic failure at 25 months is unacceptable in my view.
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 December 18 08:50 GMT (UK) »

They have asked for a independent assessment of the TV, which I would have to pay for, on top of the cost of getting the TV to such a company.  How far should I be expected to go?

Martin
Under the Sales of Goods Act (which your TV falls as it was bought before 1st October 2015) it is up to you to prove that the TV is faulty if it failed after 6 months. The seller can (and almost always will) ask you to provide them with an independent report. A can't see you will get anywhere without this.

Simon

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 December 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure Amazon get many people, trying it on, but I was telling my 78 year old mother-in-law, who suffers from Dementia, in a care home, that Amazon have said the television has lasted longer than it's expected life. She couldn't believe what they were saying. I am actually going to telephone Sony today and tell them what Amazon have said on two separate occasions.

Locksmith, thank you for your advice, which is probably correct but if you saw the television you would agree that it is not going to be viable to repair it.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
This might be my final update. Yesterday Amazon offered me a £55 credit voucher to cover a £300 television failing after 3 years. I've declined the offer, and this morning I received a second copy of it confirming that they would not go any higher.

I will be sending them an email later, which I have already drafted but I will wait a few hours to calm down before sending it.

I have told them I will be starting a small claim for two-thirds of the cost of the television, at 5 p.m. on Monday unless they are prepared to offer me two thirds compensation. It's affecting my health and well-being and I'm just so frustrated. I've had communication from 11 different people over the last fortnight and the reply this morning inferred that they haven't looked any further than my first email to them two weeks ago. I even asked them if they want me to get an independent engineer's report on the television as was suggested earlier, and they didn't even acknowledge that question or reply. I am very tenacious when I feel as though I have been unjustly treated, but I really can't take it any longer. I risk losing the £55 voucher and it will cost me £28 for the small claim but this example of Amazon customer service has just driven me to distraction.

Martin

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
The small claim court is definitely the way to go, so well done and the law is on your side on this one (although the likelyhood would be only 50% of the bought value). You would still need back up your claim by way of an engineers report I think.  Hopefully the wording in your email reminded them of your rights under UK consumer law and they may then settle befor you apply to the small claims court.

I have shown an interest here as I had a similar situation happen to me a few years ago when my TV failed after 34 months. Fortunately I had a (free) 5 year parts and labour warranty so didn't have to pay for the expert's report. I received back 34/72nds of the price, the retailer quoting the relevant consumer law when I asked for more.

Simon

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Simon, locksmith, thank you for your continued interest. I am definitely going ahead with the small claim as the whole episode has been absurd. I went into a local TV and computer repair shop and asked them if they would examine the television and give me a statement suitable. The man in the shop actually laughed that I was asking for a statement saying that a 3 year old television that's failed could have failed for any reason other than faulty. If Amazon require it I will go ahead with it.

I would feel disgusted with myself if I didn't go ahead and their offer of £55 which is little more than 1/6 of the value of the television is silly. By personal email I will send you a copy of my final correspondence with Amazon before going ahead this afternoon. I will wait until Monday afternoon before starting the small claim, but the stress has just got to the stage where I am grumpy about anything, can't sleep and can't think about anything else. It's actually the procrastination about starting the small claim which is having the most detrimental effect on my well-being.  It will be a relief when I have entered my card number and pressed enter. The point of no return.

Martin

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
This is of no real help to you Mart n Al, but we have bought our TVs from John Lewis as you get a free 5 year warranty with them, assuming they stock the make and model you want. Just an idea for a future purchase. They also offer better length free warranties on other electrical products.
I don't work for John Lewis or have any financial interests in them, just a very satisfied long term customer .
North East of England

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Candleflame, I usually use John Lewis, but I went for Amazon as they had immediate stock and delivery, and I never really thought I'd need a 5-year guarantee.  TVs don't go wrong, do they...?

Martin

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Amazon directly employ a large legal department, so it will give these guys something to do to pick holes in any of your arguments.

They have made you an offer, so not only do you have to win, but the court must agree that this offer  is not enough.

Otherwise you will have to pay their costs.

Much as I admire your tenacity common sense tells me the risk is not worth taking, Amazon’s legal eagles have used their knowledge and experience to pitch their offer in just the right gray area

I assume the offer was made without an admission of liability

Mike