Author Topic: Electoral Registers for Dulwich  (Read 664 times)

Offline nicholpope

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electoral Registers for Dulwich
« on: Monday 26 November 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know if the census for Dulwich is available pre 1890, Ancestry only has from this year under london. I understand that Dulwich was part of Brixton Hundred in Surrey upto 1899. Surrey Electrol register does not included Brixton Hundred.

Thanks

Nichol

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Registers for Dulwich
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
In your heading you refer to the electoral register, but in your first sentence you ask about the census.  Can you clarify which you are looking for?  Are you aiming to find specific people in these records?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline nicholpope

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Apologies I meant electoral

Offline nicholpope

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to trace the address by year for a John Stevens I think he was at 10 grove vale Dulwich/Camberwell in 1881 census and know he was at 54 Ulverscroft Rd in 1891. As I have spent years attempting to find any records for him to trace back I would like to see if these records will show anyone else living at the same address which maybe family.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Only those people entitled to vote will appear on an Electoral Roll/Register.

That means very few women and only 60% of men.

The Representation of the People Act, 1884 extended voting rights to all men paying an annual rental of £10 and all those holding land valued at £10 now had the vote.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Dulwich was split in 1965 between the London Boroughs of Lambeth (local studies/archives at the Minet Library) and Southwark (John Harvard Library). They each have printed copies of electoral registers for their respective areas, but I don't know of any online. Grove Vale and Ulverscroft Road are in Southwark. As they're ordered by address, not name, the library may do a quick lookup by address for free in response to an e-mail, but I'd expect then to charge for an exhaustive search by name with no guarantee of success. Street directories are another source, and the Minet Library has a particularly good collection covering not just its own area. Again only printed copies, but many have name indexes.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.