Author Topic: Children of Mungo & Agnes Chapman  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Mungo & Agnes Chapman
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
This will be no help regarding the children of Mungo Chapman but do you have the parents of Mungo as James Chapman and Agnes Kerr who married at Dalmeny on 28/5/1779?

They were my husband's 4 x gt grandparents through their daughter Agnes - 1783 to 1869 who married Thomas Chattam/Chattie/Shatton on 30/11/1802 at Abercorn. Agnes was a sister to Mungo.

I have the children of James and Agnes as -

Mungo born 1781
Agnes born  1783
Margaret born 1785
John born 1787

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Dorrie, was James, father to the four, married to Agnes Kerr or Janet Kerr?

Details from here show the mother to the four children as Janet Kerr:

The names of John’s parents appear as James Chapman and Janet Kerr. Entries in the IGI propose that that James was born c. 1754 and that Janet was born in 1758, in St Cuthbert’s Parish, Edinburgh. As generally tends to be the case, the basis of this information is unclear.

James Chapman married Janet Kerr, as recorded both at St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, and Dalmeny, West Lothian. The Register of Marriages for St Cuthberts records in an entry dated 26th May 1780:

‘Chapman James Labourer in the Parish of Dalmeny, and Janet Kerr Residenter in this Parish, and Lawll Daur of the Deceased John Kerr, Miller in the Parish of Kirkliston, Gave up their Names for Proclamation of Banns Matrimonial.’

The entry in the ‘Proclaimations (sic) & Marriages’ section of the Dalmeny Parish Register (dated the 28th May 1780) reads:

James Chapman in Auldcathy of this Parish and Janet Kerr in St Cuthberts Parish were proclaimed pro. 1mo this day and married

John’s death certificate identifies his father as James Chapman, a farm overseer (deceased). The informant was however unable to identify John’s mother.

On the evidence of the Dalmeny Parish Register entries for James and Janet’s marriage and for the birth of their daughters Agnes and Margaret and son John, James was living at Auldcathy or Auldcathie throughout the period 1780 to 1787.

Note also that on the evidence of the entry in the Register of Marriages for St Cuthbert’s Parish, Janet Kerr’s lawful father, John Kerr, was deceased by 1780 and had been a ‘Miller in the Parish of Kirkliston’.

Brothers and Sisters

John Chapman was the last of four known children. Mungo was born on 30th April 1781 and Agnes was born on 10th September 1783. These two were recorded together in the Dalmeny Parish Register on 14th September 1783:

James Chapman & Janet Kerr Spouses in Auldcathy had a Child born upon the 10th Curt and baptised this day, called Agnes.

These Parents had a Child born upon the 30 April Seventeen hundred & Eighty One years baptised at Abercorn, called Mungo.

www.burnawn.co.uk/lm/52.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
My apologies to all as that was my error it should have been Janet not Agnes.

Their daughter was Agnes and she died in 1869 - death registered under the surname of Chattie and gives her parents as  James Chapman and Janet Kerr.

I have the records from SP as listed Monica and it all agrees.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
You are very thorough, Dorrie  ;) Just double-checking for a note on this thread.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 November 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
May I first thank everyone for their input regarding the children of Mungo and Agnes Chapman, really appreciated.
My 4x Gt,grandparents were Mungo and Agnes Chapman. My 2x Gt,Grandfather was George Chapman b. 1/7/1804 – 1883 Abercorn, a brother to Janet.
I also noted that there was some confusion with the Christian names of either Janet or Agnes Kerr.

Bill

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 December 18 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Just to get things straight, James Chapman & Janet Kerr proclaimed their banns and married on 28 May 1780 in Dalmeny having proclaimed their banns in St Cuthberts on 26 May 1780. The Dalmeny record has been misindexed in ScotlandsPeople as 1779 - the original record is clear; the St Cuthberts record is correct.

Agnes Chapman marr Thomas Shatton on 30 Nov 1802 in Abercorn. The surname genuinely evolved in his lifetime to Chattie with an occasional foray into Chatto, then sometimes onward to Chatham (as in my case) and Chattam.

The other thing of note is that Janet Kerr was actually baptised Janet Carre - she was baptised 25 May 1748 Kirkliston to John Carre & Janet Comb. However his continued use of the (unusual) Carre surname was for a relatively limited time while John Carre & Janet Comb lived in Kirkliston where he was the miller (in an unnamed mill right opposite the Carre estate of Todshaugh), clearly influenced by the Carres of Cavers (who themselves were originally Ker but took on Carre - the explanation is in The Annals Of A Border Club (The Jedforest). 1899, pages 297-305 *). Local records prior to Cavers coming upon the scene are for Ker, Kerr or Keir and never for Carre, Carr, etc, but Richard Carr, who is likely to be Janet Kerr's uncle, seems to have stuck with Carr (mostly!).

It doesn't help my sanity that I have another direct line back to Carr, this time in Bradford West Yorkshire. At least they always stuck to Carr.

* https://ia802708.us.archive.org/7/items/annalsabordercl00tancgoog/annalsabordercl00tancgoog.pdf

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Fordyce setting everything straight. With looking at the name spellings and the word Bradford reminded me of a comment made by Denis Healey, former Chancellor.
He was born and raised in Bradford and once said he was in his twenties before he realised Bradford had a 'd' in it not spelt Bratford due to the local dialect!