Author Topic: Thomas Greenwood on 1871 census and death 1873 Manchester?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Greenwood on 1871 census and death 1873 Manchester?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 November 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
I just got a death certificate back for Thomas' wife Bridget.  I think it is the right person.

She died on 30th December 1867 at 1 Court, Bennett Street, in the St George district of Manchester.  Age 49 years, wife of Thomas Greenwood, a porter.  Chronic Bronchitis. 

Thomas was the person with her at her death, and on the death certificate he makes his mark, by writing his name Thomas, so he does have some literacy.

I seem to remember that on other records, Thomas can write more than just making his mark with a scratch.

I have no idea where 1 Court, Bennett Street is?  Or what the St George district means?

This death of his wife Bridget in 1867 would fit with him living with an Anne Greenwood, twelve years younger than him, presumably his wife, on the 1871 census.

The GRO has three Thomas Greenwoods who died in 1873 in Manchester, one age 56, one age 58, and one age 60.  I would guess the most likely is the one age 56, as he was born, or at least baptised, in 1817.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 November 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
St George was the sub registration district.

Do you know about Courts? They were areas off a street, down an entry often, with a courtyard of back to back houses - very poor.

Looking at an old map Bennett Street looks to be where Bendix Street is now. It is off Oldham Road near to Thompson Street. You can google that.

I think this will work

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.998267285390575&lat=53.4865&lon=-2.2308&layers=6&right=BingHyb
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 November 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »

I just looked up Bendix street on google, and it is the exact area I would expect to find my ancestor Thomas Greenwood and his family, close to Angel street and Silk street where they had previously lived.

I wasn't sure when Bridget's death record said that Thomas was a porter, as he always seemed to be a broker or junk dealer (Marine store keeper) before, but he must have done more than one type of job.

Thomas' signature on his wife's death certificate did look similar to his signature on his marriage certificate, though on the death certificate he only writes his first name, Thomas, and maybe he was struggling so the official just wrote that it was his mark.

Curious about Thomas' signature.  Everyone seems to have had similar handwriting, but I did wonder if it is the same handwriting as on the marriage certificate, and hence the same person, as I am not a hundred percent sure.

I didn't know anything about courts.  There is a lot I would like to know about general background of what the Manchester Thomas and his family lived in was like.  You are so lucky having Manchester Central Library, it has more resources for researching these things than I have ever seen anywhere else.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 November 18 23:19 GMT (UK) »
If you are searching archives etc, it is Bennett Street, Ancoats

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 November 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
If you are searching archives etc, it is Bennett Street, Ancoats

Which archives?  I didn't know there were any.  I only had a quick look in Manchester City Library as I was passing through, it looked totally amazing.  Are you saying there are archives there that describe this area?  I might make a special trek to visit again in that case.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 November 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I have had a quick look here
https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/448/archives_and_local_history/4689/documentary_photography_archive/1
But I could not see anything.
There is a Bennett Street Ardwick too but that is not yours.

The Local archives used to be on Marshall Street which is very close to Bendix Street.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 December 18 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Re Thomas’ death
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/deathsearch.php shows the sub-districts. The one you favour is Market Street which fits with 1871 census.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 December 18 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Re Thomas’ death
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/deathsearch.php shows the sub-districts. The one you favour is Market Street which fits with 1871 census.

Thanks.  This record shows the place of death, which the GRO index search doesn't.  If anything, other records show my ancestor Thomas as younger, not older, so I thought the 56 year old, which is exactly right for his year of birth 1817.  And as you say, Market Street fits with the 1871 census, and the death certificate will probably show Anne Greenwood as the Informant, and probably his wife.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 01 December 18 01:56 GMT (UK) »
On the 1851 census Thomas' mother Fanny and her youngest daughter Mary are living at 40 Beswick Street, and she is a widow.  On the 1841 census Thomas' parents Henry and Fanny are living in Silk Street with Thomas and their other children. 

So I am wondering if I have finally found the death record for Henry Greenwood, Thomas' father.  There is a Henry Greenwood who died 1847 Ancoats, age 53.  It says reference ANC/30/314, at Archives+, Manchester Central Library. 

Henry was baptised in 1797, which I assume is close to his birth.  It wouldn't be the first time I have found death certificates don't give an accurate age.