Author Topic: Thomas Greenwood on 1871 census and death 1873 Manchester?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Greenwood on 1871 census and death 1873 Manchester?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 December 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Photocopies of  certificates will be cheaper through https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
From Lancashire OPC:

Burial, 14 Mar 1847 Rusholme Rd Cemetery, Chorlton-on-Medlock
Henry Greenwood, age 52, abode Manchester
Grave No 6446 Cause of death, Dropsy

Lancs OPC have only transcribed burials at Rusholme Rd up to 1851 so far
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Manchester/Chorlton-on-Medlock/cemetery/index.html
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
From Lancashire OPC:

Burial, 14 Mar 1847 Rusholme Rd Cemetery, Chorlton-on-Medlock
Henry Greenwood, age 52, abode Manchester
Grave No 6446 Cause of death, Dropsy

Lancs OPC have only transcribed burials at Rusholme Rd up to 1851 so far
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Manchester/Chorlton-on-Medlock/cemetery/index.html

Thanks.  OPC is Online Parish Clerks?  That link looks very useful.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Can see the original here, first entry
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSNV-8M4?i=250&cat=1139382

Thanks, I will have to do that later because I don't have a username and password for the Family Search site and it will take time to create one.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 09 December 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, I got a lot of information now that I didn't know before.  Besides the death certificate for Bridget Greenwood, I just got two death certificates for Thomas Greenwood and Henry Greenwood and two birth certificates for James Henry Greenwood and Hiram "Aaron" Greenwood.

These are all obviously correct, except I am not totally certain about the death certificate for Thomas Greenwood.  The informant is Ann Greenwood and his job is given as Card Picker, he died age 56 of Cardiac Bronchitis Anasarca at 63 Long Millgate on 12th March 1873.  This is obviously the same person as in the 1871 census but I am not a hundred percent certain it is the same person as my ancestor, and I still don't know who Ann Greenwood is and can't find a marriage record which would describe Thomas as a widower and give other indications that he is the same person.

Henry Greenwood died on 10th March 1847 at Henry Street, Manchester of Pneumonia disease of right ventricle and dropsy, age 53, Carder, informant Fanny Greenwood.

Hiram "Aaron" Greenwood's birth certificate was the most interesting.  He is my great grandfather and I am especially interested in him.  He was born 20th September 1846 at 10 Henry Street, Manchester, father Thomas Greenwood, Waste Dealer, mother Bridget Greenwood formerly Ward.

I find it interesting that Hiram was born in Henry Street in September 1846 and his grandfather Henry Greenwood died in Henry Street in March 1847.  So it looks as though Hiram was born at his grandparents' house, maybe his grandmother assisting with the birth.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I looked up the Rusholme Road Cemetery, where Henry Greenwood is buried, and Find a Grave says it is still in existence, converted to a park which is known as Gartside Gardens.  I looked this up on Google Maps, and it doesn't look as though it has gravestones there any more.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 21 February 22 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I found out that in 1856 Thomas Greenwood, a licensed Marine Store dealer in River Street, Hulme, was charged with stealing lead, along with his wife Bridget and Ann McGuire (who I suspect could be Bridget's married sister who after Bridget's death married Thomas).  The officer was planning to stop Thomas Greenwood's license.  Source:  The Guardian, 27th October 1856.

This explains a lot, maybe explains why the family were not on the 1861 census.  I still wonder exactly what did happen to them.  Maybe Thomas simply got a different job, but it sounds like there was a lot of upheavel for his family.  I can still feel angry at the way Thomas' family's life was turned upside down for a bit of lead that they couldn't prove that he didn't purchase as he claimed.  Thomas and Bridget were my great, great grandparents but I can still feel how dare they speak of him like that.

Even before I found this newspaper article, I had read that the authorities were cracking down on Marine Stores in the late 1850's.  Probably any way they could.

So if anyone else comes this way trying to find out about Thomas Greenwood, maybe this useful bit of the jigsaw of his life will remain when all my research has been taken down.  (Maybe I should try to write up Thomas' life in as much or little as I know of it, so it is always there in another form).