Author Topic: Thomas Greenwood on 1871 census and death 1873 Manchester?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Greenwood on 1871 census and death 1873 Manchester?
« on: Monday 26 November 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out about my ancestor Thomas Greenwood, born 1817 in Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire.  He was baptised on 20th July 1817 in Heptonstall, parents Henry and Fanny Greenwood.

His whole family moved to Manchester when he was between the ages of 10 and 13.  His sister Jane was born in 1827 in Heptonstall, and his sister Mary was born in 1830 in Manchester. The family is all together on the 1841 census living in Manchester.  He married Bridget Ward at what became Manchester Cathedral on 29th June 1846.  At the time of marriage both live at 30 Angel street.  His son Hiram was born later in 1846, I can only find a baptism for Hiram, I can't find his civil registration. 

Thomas' marriage certificate describes him as a Marine Store Keeper.  The 1851 census also mentions another child, James W. Greenwood, born about 1848 or 1849.  Strangely, later on Hiram sometimes appears on records as James Hiram.  I wonder if James died and Hiram took his name out of some kind of remembrance of his brother?  I can't find any birth or death records for James W Greenwood.

Thomas, his wife Bridget, Bridgets two siblings, and the children Hiram and James are on the 1851 census living at 3 Clegg Court.  Thomas is described as a Broker.

Thomas' mother Fanny died on 17th January 1866 in Charlesworth, Derbyshire.  The widow of one of her sons, also called Hiram, and her later husband, Mary and Edward Fernley, were the witnesses.

I think it could be his wife Bridget Greenwood who died in October 1867 in Manchester.  It might be Thomas who is a lodger, born Hepdon (sic)Bridge, on the 1871 census in Market Street, Manchester, with an Anne Greenwood and a lot of other people.  His relationship to Anne Greenwood is not stated on the 1871 census.  I can't find a marriage to Anne.  She is age 40 and he is 52.  She isn't any known family member.  On this census Thomas is described as a card dealer.  Does anyone know what a card dealer was?  Presumably the card in question are the ones used to comb wool?  This would link him to the Thomas Greenwood I have earlier information for, as he was a Marine store keeper and broker, and a card dealer sounds like some sort of broker in items used in the wool or cotton industry?

Can anyone tell me if there is a marriage between Thomas Greenwood and Anne between late 1867 and the time of the 1871 census?

There is a death in Manchester in January 1873 of a Thomas Greenwood.  I don't know if that is him.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Greenwood on 1871 census and death 1873 Manchester?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Just working through this.

Lancashire BMD shows a birth in 1846 - Aaron Greenwood with mmn Ward. Ancoats district so looking good.

As both names are not unusual, it could be another family, I suppose.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire BMD
There is this one  ???
James Henry Greenwood mmn Ward 1848 Hulme

They were in Hulme reg district in 1851
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in Manchester Dec 1870 8d 469
Ann Burkett
Elizabeth Garner
Thomas Greenwood
Edgar Frederick Hope

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire BMD
There is this one  ???
James Henry Greenwood mmn Ward 1848 Hulme

They were in Hulme reg district in 1851

That sounds likely.  Henry was Thomas' father's name, and this family did re-use names in different generations

Where can I find this information?  I searched everywhere and couldn't find any birth information for James.  Hulme is the right area, and his mother's maiden name was Ward.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Forget the 1870 marriage I've just found an Edgar F Hope in the 1871 Census in Manchester with wife Annie.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in Manchester Dec 1870 8d 469
Ann Burkett
Elizabeth Garner
Thomas Greenwood
Edgar Frederick Hope

Emeltom

Thanks.  I hadn't found that.  They were located in Manchester and it is between the death of his first wife Bridget in 1867 and the 1871 census where they are living together with the same surname.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Forget the 1870 marriage I've just found an Edgar F Hope in the 1871 Census in Manchester with wife Annie.

Emeltom

Ok thanks.  That was far too good to be true.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Just working through this.

Lancashire BMD shows a birth in 1846 - Aaron Greenwood with mmn Ward. Ancoats district so looking good.

As both names are not unusual, it could be another family, I suppose.

I don't recognise the name Aaron in my family at all, and Hiram was born, or at least baptised, in late 1846 so I don't think it would be a sibling of Hiram and James.  Ancoats is exactly the sort of area I am looking for this family in, but as you say there were a lot of Wards from Ireland in Manchester, and a lot of Greenwoods from Hebden Bridge and around.