Author Topic: Who was Hetty?  (Read 777 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Hetty?
« on: Monday 26 November 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
William Light married (I’m fairly sure) Clara Smith in the March quarter of 1910 in Leicester.
I know that he emigrated and had family in Canada, including what I understood was a daughter, Hetty. I haven’t found him in the 1911 UK census.

I’ve found a Canadian census for 1921 online. Clara Light (35), a widow, was living in Selkirk Street, Galt City, Ontario, having immigrated from England. With her was Hetty (10). Whilst her parents were born in England, I’m not sure from the census, of her status. More confusingly, Hetty is described as Clara’s niece. I haven’t found a UK birth reg for a Hetty (or Hettie, or Henrietta) Light or Smith.

William died in Leicester in 1920 of TB and was buried there, soon to be joined by his father and at least one sister, who suffered the same fate in the 1920’s.

I’m not sure of the circumstances surrounding William’s return from Canada. If he was accompanied by his family, they certainly returned to Canada where Hetty married and both Clara and Hetty subsequently died. But how can I find whose child Hetty was?
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Hetty?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
William, Clara and 'Atty' in 1911 Canada
 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27XH-N25
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that’s amazing. So presumably the “niece” in 1921 was an error.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I think that you need to see the 'original' copy rather than rely on a transcript of 1911.  It may even give a place of birth
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Here is the image for 1911, in which she is described as daughter :
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e002033408.pdf

Ontario birth record for Hetty Light here :

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FMCM-CG9
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
William , Clara and Hetty arrived in Liverpool from Portland , Maine 21 Dec 1912 on SS Teutonic.

Clara and Hetty returned to Canada , arriving 20  April 1921 on SS Metagama :

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-613J-CT?i=43&cc=1823240
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information. Brilliant, all my questions answered!

Dave :)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Now discovered too that the census was correct in describing Hetty as “niece”. The passenger list gives the address at which Clara and Hetty would be living and it was with Clara’s sister and brother-in-law, so that makes sense. I can’t read the word on the form which describes Clara’s relationship to him.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Dave     

Any chance of confirming who "Clara’s sister and brother-in-law" was, so that it makes complete sense.     

Thanks!     

Ray   

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).