Author Topic: 1884 murder mystery, help finding the family  (Read 769 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1884 murder mystery, help finding the family
« on: Monday 26 November 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
A thread on one of my FB groups has me & others intrigued. Thought I'd put the details on here to see what you super sleuths can come up with!
A Mary Ann Cooper, aged 8, was murdered in Middlesbrough on 23rd June 1884. I have tried to find her family in census returns with no joy as yet. All details have been gleaned from newspaper articles so a margin for error there. This is what I know. Her father was William Cooper, a marine engineer (from DC) She had two younger sisters (old enough to go playing in the park where Mary was murdered), an older brother who helped look for her, an older sister called Jane Cooper, an older step sister called Mary (her mother's daughter, married to Herbert MacCallum of Maryhill Glasgow) a stepsister on her father's side called Mrs Graham and finally, Mr Jack of Grangemouth, her grandfather! The family were apparently well respected and attended a local Presbyterian church.
Any help appreciated :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1884 murder mystery, help finding the family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Death was registered as just Mary Cooper
Deaths Sep qtr 1884   
Mary Cooper    age  8   
Middlesbrough reg dist    9d   378
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie, I have just managed to find the correct marriage for her parents in Grangemouth 1874. Her mother was Margaret Graham, nee Jack. I also have the family in Grangemouth in 1881
Mary Cooper was born in Falkirk
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased that you have now solved it
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk