Author Topic: Lookup for illegitemate childs father or any link at all  (Read 5971 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for illegitemate childs father or any link at all
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
The baptism of William George Starns in 1904 shows his father’s full name as William George Stammers Price Starns, assistant steward.

When Blanche Kathleen was baptised in 1907, he was William George Starns, steward.

At first I though this might mean ship’s steward, but it looks in fact as though he was a workhouse steward (see 1911 census which we can’t give full details of on here).  I don’t know exactly what this would have entailed, but if it involved supervising workhouse/infirmary inmates it might have meant he was often away from home overnight, providing (perhaps) cover for an extramarital relationship.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hang on - I think we may have gone off an a bit of a frolic.  If the baby was born in hospital, then “occupier” as the informant‘s qualification means occupier of the institution (which could be William Starns given that he was in that line of work). 

What exactly does it say in column 7 of the birth certificate?  How close was the date of registration to the date of birth?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Gone off on a frolic indeed!! My fault for researching late at night.

It says 'William Starns Occupier of 369 Fulham Road'.
Registered 31st December

This is like playing ping pong! Firstly I was with the Walker family in the wrong house on Marville Road...then with the workshouse steward - I am presuming it was a workshouse?? Now back to likely suspect being the Pinkerton sons lol

So... while we are at it...who was living at SIX Marville Road? I am pretty certain that the registrar has written a 5, and when I compare it to other 6's on the page, it looks nothing like a 6...but its certainly a funny 5 too...

I am convinced I'm going to find Desmond's dad on his birthday...

Alison xxx
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
OK well I think we can let William Starns off the hook, with apologies for casting aspersions on his character!  Seems he was just doing his job at the infirmary. :D

The institution at 369 Fulham Rd was the forerunner of the modern Chelsea & Westminster Hospital.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
6 Marville Rd:

1918: Reginald Osmond Allender (absent, naval or military)

1919: ditto

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 December 18 13:07 GMT (UK) »
OK well I think we can let William Starns off the hook, with apologies for casting aspersions on his character!  Seems he was just doing his job at the infirmary. :D

The institution at 369 Fulham Rd was the forerunner of the modern Chelsea & Westminster Hospital.

Well done avm!

Isn't it amazing how by asking 1 valid question to get 1 little bit of valuable info. can change a whole concept  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 December 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a sneaky feeling - when you try and put all this toegtehr in your mind - that whilst we are assuming that Ethel was a youngster, that she actually might have been older (and therefore more likely to be with William Starns senior...or the pinkertons). This would also tie in with her being the Ethel born in 1878 with Jarvis as the dad...She would be 40. Still possible to have a baby at 40.

Jervis' daughter Ethel married Edward FREWEN in 1905.  In 1939 she has the correct day of birth but has given herself two extra years.

Debra  :)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 December 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a sneaky feeling - when you try and put all this toegtehr in your mind - that whilst we are assuming that Ethel was a youngster, that she actually might have been older (and therefore more likely to be with William Starns senior...or the pinkertons). This would also tie in with her being the Ethel born in 1878 with Jarvis as the dad...She would be 40. Still possible to have a baby at 40.

Jervis' daughter Ethel married Edward FREWEN in 1905.  In 1939 she has the correct day of birth but has given herself two extra years.

Debra  :)

Interesting...I do still find it hard to believe that the Ethel on Desmond's Birth certificate is not connected to a Jervis/Jarvis of some description though...somehow at some point..and that's why Desmond called him his dad when he got married the second time. You dont just make up a name like Jervis.

But then again maybe me thinking that Jarvis being Ethel's dad might be a red herring altogether...maybe she did marry a man called Jervis - somebody later on after Desmond was born and that's why he assumed he was his dad??

From family hearsay and some records to back it up, I believe Desmond spent a large part of his childhood in orphanages. However, the records which I found in orphanages began when he was 14. I will see if I can dig them out. Apparently the 'only' memory Desmond had of his mother was her putting him on a bus to Mill Hill to an orphanage...

I also have reason to believe that perhaps Desmond himself went by the name of Jervis sometimes as well or that the names Desmond and Jarvis were interchangeable. I remember my dad saying something about while he was growing up there was 'kitbag' with the initials JD on it...he was told this was his dad's Desmond's bag - it was very significant to dad because it was the only thing of his he ever saw. it must have been something handed down as my dad never met his dad Desmond.

It's the trying to find out who my great grandma Ethel Salter is and where she comes from and goes to which is the problem - I remember this from ten years ago and this is why I gave up!

It's 100years since Desmond was born tomorrow and I WILL crack this mystery!

In case you haven't read this on another post - I do also have a hunch that Desmond's dad was not British...

Thanks for all your help.
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 December 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
The combination of the name Desmond plus a Catholic orphanage makes me wonder about Irish heritage.

What's the basis of your hunch about "non-British" - is it based on e.g. family appearance, or something else?