Author Topic: Lookup for illegitemate childs father or any link at all  (Read 5954 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for illegitemate childs father or any link at all
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
William West was the registered voter at 5 Marville Rd until 1914, but by 1915 he had been replaced by Allan Pinkerton.

Later on at 5 Marville Rd:

1918: Allan Pinkerton, jun; David Pinkerton
1919: Allan Pinkerton, jun; David Pinkerton (army)
1920: Allan Pinkerton, sen; Allan Pinkerton, jun; David Pinkerton; Nelly Pinkerton.

Ok - very interesting. Pinkerton - another name to add to the pot who could be my great grandad! So I presume William Starns (named as Occupier of 5 Marville Road in 1918 on Desmond's birth certificate) is a lodger with the Pinkerton family then?

Thanks

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes possibly a lodger.

I made a mistake on the earlier post - David was marked a for “absent” rather than “army” in 1919, though his voting qualification code NM (naval or military) suggests it may amount to much the same thing.

The Pinkertons were a Scottish family.  Allan snr was a builder/joiner who seems to have brought his young family to London c1880.  Allan jnr (b 1877) and David (b 1879) were sons of his and Nelly was his second wife.  Allan snr died in Fulham in 1920; the sons stayed on (unmarried) at 5 Marville Rd until the mid-1940s.  David died in Fulham in 1946 and Allan jnr in Wood Green in 1950.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 December 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Birth
Dec 1918 Chelsea 1a 477
Salter, Desmond
mother Salter

No Jervis.
There are a William Marns and an Ethel Marns listed at 50 Clancarty Road, Fulham in 1920.
Not far from Marville Road.

EDIT - Make that STARNS!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
William/Ethel Starns at 50 Clancarty in 1918, so that doesn't tie in with Marville.
And together in 1911.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
William George Starns married Ethel Beatrice Lucas, Paddington, Sep qtr 1902.

Their son William George Starns was born in 1904 (Hendon).  Perhaps just about old enough to be lodging at 5 Marville Rd in 1918?

He was with his parents at 50 Clancarty Rd in 1928, & went on to marry Jessie I Neal in Chelsea in 1934.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Alternatively I wonder whether William Starns snr might have been conducting a covert relationship with Ethel while she lived in Marville Rd?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
NB I haven’t read any old threads on this topic - hope we are not going over old ground.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I think you might be onto something here...seriously...
Why is William Starns not on the electoral roll for 5 Marville road in 1918? He was listed as 'Occupier of 5 Marville Road' on Dersmond's birth certificate...But all you've turned up there is Pinkertons.

I have a sneaky feeling - when you try and put all this toegtehr in your mind - that whilst we are assuming that Ethel was a youngster, that she actually might have been older (and therefore more likely to be with William Starns senior...or the pinkertons). This would also tie in with her being the Ethel born in 1878 with Jarvis as the dad...She would be 40. Still possible to have a baby at 40. I'm 35 and just had my first!

By the way Jervis Salter appeared on a later marriage certificate for Desmond. And through hearsay in the family too. But as I say, I think that he merely named his dad as Jervis Salter because that was Ethel's dad...or uncle - or some relative and that is all he knew to put on the marriage certificate. I know for certain there is a Jarvis/Jervis connection.

What do you think?
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I think the fact that William Starns is the informant is likely to be significant. He does not seem to have been Ethel’s landlord.  If he was just a fellow lodger or other unconnected male, why would he have got involved with registering the birth of her child?

William Starns snr’s marriage to Ethel Lucas was not very fertile - they had William George in 1904 and Blanche Kathleen in 1906, and that seems to have been the completion of their family.  Small for the time, but we cannot reliably infer anything about the relationship from that.

As to why William Starns was not on the electoral roll for 5 Marville Rd - probably because he didn’t live there, at least not on a basis which qualified him to vote.  If we have the right William (snr), it will be because his actual residence was the matrimonial home at 50 Clancarty Rd.

You haven’t told us anything about your research on Ethel Salter, so I can’t comment on that. In your opening post you said you thought she was born in 1895 ???