Author Topic: Help with Regiment Cap Badge please?  (Read 895 times)

Offline TraceyJM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with Regiment Cap Badge please?
« on: Monday 26 November 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone can identify the cap badge for me please?
I have scanned what I believed was the original photo but the cap badge is out of focus and I cannot identify it.
I know that the horseshoe on his arm means that he was a farrier, and the chevrons(?) also mean he was a sergeant but I'd be grateful if anyone else has any other useful information about the uniform.
I'm trying to work out whether this is a photo of my Great Grandfather, or one of his brothers.
Thank you in advance.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Regiment Cap Badge please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Not the Royal Horse Artillery. No Crown on the badge. A rather simple question but do you know any Regiment that your ancestors were in rather than trying to identify them from their badges.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Almost certainly a Mounted Military Policeman.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline TraceyJM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, I don't know much about my Great Grandfather or his brothers other than what I've found out.

I was told by his daughters (my Great aunts) that he was a colour sergeant in WW1 and he was wounded by shrapnel on Armistice Day. However, I've since found out through research that although he received a pension, he never participated in WW1 at all.

His brother was in Worcestershire Regiment in WW1 and the cap badge in the photo doesn't match that Regiment.

In this photo, it looks as though he's around 40 years old and as my Great Grandfather was born in 1900, I suspect this photo could have been him and taken around WW2. However, I can't find any information out about him being in WW2.

Family members truly believe this is a photo of my Great Grandfather during WW1 but he looks too old in the photo (he was a teen during WW1) and as I've already found out, he did not partake in WW1.

I've been trying for years to confirm who this is in the photo and I just keep hitting brick walls.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
It would help if you post his(their) names and any other details such as place and date of birth, where they lived etc.
If Great Grandfather was born in 1900 then clearly not a Great War soldier in the picture, perhaps inter war years.  Service records post 1920 are still held by the Ministry of Defence which is why you can't find anything, they can be applied for.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records  (If you have his date of birth you don't need to know a service number or regiment)

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline TraceyJM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
His name was Montague Robert Humphries born 21.2.1900 in Cleobury Mortimer.

His brothers were:
· John Humphries born 1888 in Cleobury Mortimer. (He was in Worcestershire Regiment)
· Philip Humphries born 1890 in Cleobury Mortimer.
· George Humphries born 1898 in Cleobury Mortimer.
I've been told that all the brothers were in the War but I have not found any information out for Philip and George as of yet.

Over his life time my Great Grandfather lived in Bewdley and Kidderminster and he died in 1966 in Kidderminster (in Worcestershire).

Thank you for that information regarding the Ministry of Defence, I was under the impression I needed his service number and Regiment before I could apply.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
The introductory page of the link is a bit misleading in that it says service number and date of birth.  When you get to the army form however, it says service number OR date of birth.

Bit of coincidence that John Humphries who served initially 1906 to 1911 then briefly at the beginning of the war in the Worcestershire Regiment was a sergeant, he was a farrier and he transferred to the Army Service Corps in 1916 (this is not an ASC badge though) serving then till 1919.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
There's an Attestation at Worcester dated 17.3.1919 of a Montague Humphries aged 19yrs 26 days, b. Bewdley, occupation labourer, into the Royal Artillery, Army No. 1021526.  Next of kin given as father, Rose Cottage, Blackstone(?), Bewdley.  Discharged at Woolwich on 13.10.1920 as "Phys Unfit, Para 392 (xvi), address on discharge same as his father's.

Is that your Montague?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline TraceyJM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's my Montague.
I can't find any service records linked to the regimental numbers that are listed on the Attestation Records.
I've found a newspaper article dated after 1920 (he had to go to court for assaulting someone) and it confirms he received a pension but didn't partake in WW1.
This man seems to be a huge mystery at the moment.