Author Topic: Birthplace: Austria/Poland  (Read 584 times)

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birthplace: Austria/Poland
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I've located a US federal census from 1900 - it lists my Grandmothers birthplace as Poland, Austria. Can anyone help me with the history that might explain why a birthplace would be described as Poland/Austria? I can understand Poland/Russia...but this one is stumping me! Thank-you!

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace: Austria/Poland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hullo,
History and Wars altered many boundaries in Europe.
My Grandparents were born in Prague, Austria (per birth certificates) whereas people correct me today when I mention Prague, Austria. You mean Prague, Hungary.   Family History needs to be examined in context with History.
All the best with your research.
Regards
clancam37
I've located a US federal census from 1900 - it lists my Grandmothers birthplace as Poland, Austria. Can anyone help me with the history that might explain why a birthplace would be described as Poland/Austria? I can understand Poland/Russia...but this one is stumping me! Thank-you!

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 04:11 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitions_of_Poland

Poland didn't exist as a separate country between 1795 and 1919, its various regions being absorbed by Germany, Austria and Russia.  This link helps explain it a bit.

Poland/Austria would refer to the area of Poland under Austrian administration, such a Lwow/Lvov where my wife's family are from.

Subsequent boundary changes after both world wars further confuse the issue.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you! I did some digging and read up on the partitions last night. So I can assume when I see a document indicating Austria/Poland and Russia/Poland they had ancestors from the original state of Poland, but were now living or lived in a partitioned section?

Lol, this Polish ancestry research is WAY harder than the UK and Germany! Thank-you!

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
You will more commonly see "Austrian-Poland" referred to as Galizien (in German) or Galicia (in English).

Russian-Poland was often known as Congress Poland in reference to the borders that were defined after the Congress of Vienna in 1815.