Author Topic: I'm sure my friend isn't imagining this...  (Read 2238 times)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm sure my friend isn't imagining this...
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Have found  apiece about the poor woman who fell from the bus, it is not Mabel Machray

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers on microfilm (don't know dates) are at the Museum of Croydon in the Clocktower (same building as, but separate from, the Library)

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Wow, so many replies.  Thank you. 

Josey pointed out the 1939 Reg gives her dob as 1884, not 1882. William Forsyth Machray was her husband.  i thought I'd tried all the wrong spellings of Machray!  It is a rare spelling, and most of them are relatives of my friend including the first Archbishop of Canada Robert Machray and and the Archbishop's nephew, an infamous fraudster, extensively reported, John Alexander Machray, 1865-1933.

Suzard, I think you might have cracked it, the Croydon area, the first name, the mis-spelled surname.  Well done.  My friend could easily have got the year a bit wrong.  The age corresponds with the wrong dob mentioned by Josey.  If the 1939 Reg data is correct, that is.

I wish I had asked here sooner.  I admit, that I thought I had been 100% thorough, yet missed an obvious alternate spelling.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
One other related question, please.

Can you read what it says next to William Machray, as Occupation on the 1939 Register?  Clip attached.

I read it as 'Organist, Chairman, Unitarian Church', but I can't make out the last word.

I assume that William must have retired if his occupation is 'organist'.  He would only have been 56 though.  He was a 'tea taster' earlier, often travelling to India.  Nice work if you can get it.

Martin

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Norwood News
3 November 1961
Inquest on Mrs. Machary

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:48 GMT (UK) »
For those with a Findmypast subscription

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0002308%2f19611103%2f130

Very sad.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
One other related question, please.

Can you read what it says next to William Machray, as Occupation on the 1939 Register?  Clip attached.

I read it as 'Organist, Chairman, Unitarian Church', but I can't make out the last word.

I assume that William must have retired if his occupation is 'organist'.  He would only have been 56 though.  He was a 'tea taster' earlier, often travelling to India.  Nice work if you can get it.

Martin

Can't quite make it out, I would hazard a guess at Bristo[  ], the T is quite distinctive.

Any associations with Bristol?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »

"I read it as 'Organist, Chairman, Unitarian Church', but I can't make out the last word."

Martin
Could the Chairman be Choirman/master

Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest Brixton. I googled Unitarian Church Wandsworth and Brixton came up!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)