Author Topic: SAURIN, SORAGHAN  (Read 1482 times)

Offline squids50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SAURIN, SORAGHAN
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have been researching the family name of SAURIN for the past 25 years, and have built up an extensive Family Tree and Database over this time.  However the Irish family link of SAURIN and it's Irish spelling of SORAGHAN still alludes me.  I have many individuals (and families) of SAURIN, SORAGHAN and (the odd) O'SORAGHAN registered in Ireland in the mid 1700's until the present day - but no registered/direct link between the two names.  My lineage is very clear from the persecution of the early SAURIN Nobles, and the   Eddict of Nantes when the family fled France and settled in Ireland about 1730.  However as there are SORAGHANs in Ireland before that, and the O'SORAGHAN name mentioned as early as 1633, it would suggest that another side of the SAURIN family emigrated to Ireland much earlier.  I know that the name spread out to the Americas, Canada and Australia in the 1800's, and again I have records of these -  but it is the earlier Irish settlers that I am particularly interested in (with so many of the early records lost in the uprising, it is proving quite difficult).

Is anyone researching the SORAGHAN (or O'SORAGHAN) name that have records of individuals/families as early as 1600 up to say 1799?.  Grateful for any steer in this direction.
Regards
Steve Saurin

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SAURIN, SORAGHAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
The Huguenots who fled France following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes (which happened in 1685) were Protestant. The Edict of Nantes had offered them security but its revocation meant they were likely to be persecuted again. So during their initial period in Ireland at least, I would expect them to appear in Protestant records rather than Roman Catholic records, though judging by the 1901 census, any that remained in Ireland then had, ironically perhaps, apparently become Roman Catholic. In Ulster some became Presbyterians, because the Huguenots doctrine was closer to that denomination than the Church of Ireland.

There was a Huguenot church and a cemetery in Dublin (near St Stephens Green) for a while and the church does have some records. Might be worth checking those.

If you think that some of the families are of French origin but pre-date the 1600s, then a likely time of their arrival could be the Anglo Norman settlement of Ireland (1169 onwards). Many of those that arrived then were of French origin and had only lived in England for 100 years or less, having arrived in England in 1066 or afterwards. Some ended up settling in Ireland and after a few generations were regarded as native.

But tracing individual families back that far is not really feasible. Apart from documents for a few key leaders, there are no detailed records for the Middle Ages in Ireland. No baptism, marriage or burial records.  In general the earliest records start in the 1600s but even that is very patchy, and it's the 1800s before most parishes have records. The Church of Ireland lost a lot of its records in the 1922 fire, but no RC or Huguenots church records were stored there. So they were unaffected by that issue.
Elwyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Saurin Mary Lady Stephen's Green widow of the Right Hon. William Saurin, former Attorney General
of Ireland, sister to the Marquis of Thomond. LC 05/02/1840

From Louis were lineally descended the Right Revd. James Saurin, Bishop of Dromore, and the Honorable William. Saurin, Attorney-General for Ireland . 
 https://www.jstor.org/stable/4244775
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
The Saurin Family

1.Very Rev Louis Saurin, Dean of Armagh; m. Cornel de la Bretonniere and had,

2.Rev. James Saurin (1719-1772) m. 1755 Jane Johnston of New Forge, co. Antrim (see above) and had,

3.William Saurin, b. 1757; Attorney General for Ireland

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/regional/countries/topics/northernireland/1828/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Irish Times surnames doesn't link the two names origin wise, except that Saurin may sometime stand for Soraghan.
Ó Soracháin    Sorahan: líon beag: Cabhán, Lú & rl. Clann de chuid Oirghialla. Fréamh: sorcha .i. geal, lonrach. Coitinn fadó mar ainm baineann.
Soraghan    Quite numerous: Cavan, Louth etc. Ir. Ó Soracháin, sorcha, bright.
https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames/

Saurin    rare: Drogheda (Louth) etc. Huguenot, 18 cent. French de Sauvergne. It may occasionally stand for Soraghan, q.v

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »

Offline squids50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for all your posts regarding the name SAURIN.  Perhaps I should have emphasised more fully that I am descended from the Very Rev Louis Saurin, Charles de Saurin, and beyond and have extensive details of the name SAURIN (de SAURIN).  I am particularly looking for researchers who have any family details of the name SORAGHAN ( e.g Patrick Soraghan and Margaret Riley, and their son Edward J Soraghan from Drumhart, Ireland or Dermont Soraghan b. Nov 1793 the son of Eugene Soraghan (d. Mar 1821) and Judith Creamer in the area of Co Longford, Ireland.)

Regards
Steve Saurin   

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I doubt if I can add anything as I'm not sure what lines of enquiry you've tried so far.

Findmypast has 50 pre-1800 Soraghan/Soraghane/O'Soraghan records. Most are Catholic parish registers so probably not that much use in tracking down Huguenot ancestors. The earliest two from 1710 & 1719 are probably Exchequer Bills.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?eventyear=1760&eventyear_offset=40&lastname=sorag*&sourcecountry=ireland will display 47 of them and the parish registers can be viewed without paying.

JSTOR has 31 hits, mainly Louth and Armagh. One of the Louth papers says "The Soraghans were originally a Cavan clan. but for a few centuries back there have been a number of them in Haynestown parish." https://www.jstor.org/action/doBasicSearch?searchType=facetSearch&page=1&sd=&ed=&facet_history-discipline=aGlzdG9yeS1kaXNjaXBsaW5l&Query=soraghan

Others sources such as CSORP, Irish Manuscripts Commission, Register of Deeds Grantors Index, Trinity College Alumni, The Gazette etc show nothing for this period.