Author Topic: Lancashire Day  (Read 3291 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Day
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 November 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
And here is me, a Red Rose, never realising that there was a Lancashire Day.  Born in Blackpool (well, someone had to be...) and living in Poulton-le-Fylde (well, Carlton actually) for 5 years, then Blackburn for 2, I am afraid that I deserted - not of my own free will - and never returned to live there.  You all know the old saying "You can take the girl out of Lancashire...etc. etc."  But here's to all of us, wherever in the world we may roam, anyway! 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 November 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Maiden Stone
Did they lock you in a cell and switch the lights off like they did when I was a child visiting the castle? :o  It scarred my psyche for years!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 November 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
We went to our local Arts Centre (on the south coast) in October to see a performance by 2 students from Trinity Laban plus Angela Caesar (see her bio www.rootschat.com/links/01n3x/ ).  Angela Caesar was born in Manchester and as the Arts Centre is very small she and the other 2 performers stood by the exit of the theatre at the end of the show for the audience to talk to them on their way out.  I went up to her (not knowing she was so such a star, although she had been superb that night) and just said that I was born in Manchester and it was so lovely to hear a Mancunian accent again.  She just gave me a hug and said I'd still got the accent.  ::)  I thought that was a typical Mancunian (Lancashire) reaction.

If you get a chance to see her in either opera or jazz, you're in for a treat.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire Day 2020
www.forl.co.uk/lancashire-day/proclamation/
250th. anniversary of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal this month.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:59 GMT (UK) »
As a born Yorkshirewoman, albeit with a lot of Cumbrian and Lancastrian ancestry, married to a Lancastrian, ( and he has some Yorkshire ancestry,) we fight the War of the Roses happily all the time! At least we're both proud northerners. Just said to him "Happy Lancashire Day" and asked him to sing his anthem ... guess what? Doesn't know one.
-So I had to sing "Ilkley Moor" to him - again - not all the verses, though, I'm not that cruel, after all, he can't help being a Lancastrian - sadly.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 November 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know that it existed, my DIL is from Rochdale and we often have a giggle about the words Ginnel V. Back Alley and Cruckle V. Cockle.  ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 November 20 16:12 GMT (UK) »
married to a Lancastrian, ...  Just said to him "Happy Lancashire Day" and asked him to sing his anthem ... guess what? Doesn't know one.

" Lassie From Lancashire" isn't appropriate.  ;D
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 November 20 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Just said to him "Happy Lancashire Day" and asked him to sing his anthem ... guess what? Doesn't know one.

It's to the same tune as "God Save the Queen" with a few alternative lyrics.
            "God save our Duke, the Queen !
              Long live our noble Duke !
              God save the Queen. "

Cowban

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 November 20 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know that it existed, my DIL is from Rochdale and we often have a giggle about the words Ginnel V. Back Alley and Cruckle V. Cockle.  ;D ;D
Carol

Yes, as a Rochdalian living in Devon exile I sometimes use the words ginnel and cruckle and meet with some confused stares. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.