Author Topic: Lancashire Day  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire Day
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I like Lancashire hotpot and meat & potato pie, both accompanied by red cabbage; Lancashire (and many Yorkshire cheeses), cold or warm, with or without red cabbage; most locally made pies and pasties; Lancashire Hot Cake ( which was scone in our house). I don't eat Chorley or Eccles Cakes.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Having thought of myself as a Lancastrian (although I don't live in Lancashire) it was a shock to discover my ancestor Abraham Broadley, who lived in Darwen from 1654, was actually born in Warley, near Halifax.

Broadly speaking, he counts as a Lancastrian. You can claim dual citizenship.
Cowban

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
As a proud Lancastrian I was mortified to discover that my gt-gt-grandparents slipped over the border from Yorkshire, but before my gt-grandmother was born.  She was born on the right side of the Pennines, as were most of my other ancestors.

Recently I went to the funeral of a Yorkshireman.  The service ended with a recording of "On Ilkley Moor baht 'at", which sent us all out with a smile on our faces.  I'm considering having "She's a lassie from Lancashire" at mine.  My family's full of Sarahs!  Or maybe Gracie Fields singing "The Lancashire Blues - Rochdale's good enough for me".   

I've just completed a (free) 4 week online course on "Lancaster Castle and Northern English history" which I can heartily recommend.  It's a FutureLearn MOOC course and is run by Lancaster University and actually deals principally with the history of Lancaster Castle and the surrounding area.  (Yorkshire doesn't really get a mention.)  Google futurelearn.com for more information.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
As a proud Lancastrian I was mortified to discover that my gt-gt-grandparents slipped over the border from Yorkshire, but before my gt-grandmother was born.  She was born on the right side of the Pennines, as were most of my other ancestors.

I've just completed a (free) 4 week online course on "Lancaster Castle and Northern English history" which I can heartily recommend.  It's a FutureLearn MOOC course and is run by Lancaster University and actually deals principally with the history of Lancaster Castle and the surrounding area.  (Yorkshire doesn't really get a mention.)  Google futurelearn.com for more information.

That's "on the right side of the Pennines" when looking down South.

FutureLearn has a family history course.  I've been reminded that "Ireland 104", a course in Irish culture and basic Irish language begins next week.

Last Sunday's episode of Doctor Who was about witches in 17thC Lancashire .
Cowban

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I always considered myself a Lancastrian, born in Manchester as were my parents and maternal grandparents, however, when I started researching my family tree, I found I have just as many Yorkshire ancestors as Lancashire ones.  ::)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie that's an excuse to celebrate twice a year. Yorkshire Day is 1st August.
Saint Andrew's Day is on Friday.
Cowban

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie that's an excuse to celebrate twice a year. Yorkshire Day is 1st August.
Saint Andrew's Day is on Friday.

I thought St Andrew's Day was a Scottish holiday.  Although my 4 x g.grandfather was Scottish so I suppose it's a little relevant to me.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 November 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »

That's "on the right side of the Pennines" when looking down South.

FutureLearn has a family history course.  I've been reminded that "Ireland 104", a course in Irish culture and basic Irish language begins next week.

Last Sunday's episode of Doctor Who was about witches in 17thC Lancashire .

The trial of the Pendle witches took place at Lancaster Castle, so was covered in some detail in the course, which also looked at the way justice was delivered over several centuries.  I didn't know that prison was not considered to be a punishment in those days, just a holding place until your fate was decided by trial.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I went to an exhibition at Lancaster Museum about the Pendle witches in 2012.
Cowban