Author Topic: Affleck - Elba St, St Quinox  (Read 1061 times)

Offline goldie64

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Affleck - Elba St, St Quinox
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am looking to try to find out any information about the area of St Elba and I think a Church by the name of St Quinox around the time of 1885.  My ancestors lived there and I would be grateful if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction to find out more about them or the general area.

Kind regards

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Affleck - Elba St, St Quinox
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Where is St Elba?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Goldie meant Elba Street. It's in the topic title.
Is it Elba Street in Ayr? The ancient parish of St. Quivox was a large one and included part of Ayr. The original St. Quivox Church is a few miles out of town.

Have you tried Scotland's People?
Is there something you particularly want to find out?
Any relation to Affleck's furnishers or auctioneers?

Btw welcome to RootsChat.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Elba Street is off John Street in the Wallacetown part of Ayr. See the section headed Wallacetown on Ayr St. Quivox Parish Church website www.ayrstquivox.com/a-short-history.html
There was a chapel at Wallacetown in 1835. It later became a separate parish. Newton Church, a few minutes walk away, also existed then.  Darlington Church, along Main St. from Newton Church was built in latter half of 19thC. This is assuming your Affleck people were Church of Scotland. There are Free Church of Scotland and Catholic churches on John Street. Ayr Auld Kirk is a stone's throw across the River Ayr.
There are several old graveyards around.
Wallacetown was a working-class area, densely populated.

See also British History Online for a brief description & history of Wallacetown.

South Ayrshire Libraries
https://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/libraries/local-history.aspx

There is also Ayrshire Archives.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
If it is Elba Street in Ayr and the Ayrshire parish of Saint Quivox then it would be a good idea to ask a moderator to move this thread to the Ayrshire board.

St. Quivox was also St. Kevoca. Place-name Sanquhar is a form of St. Quivox. Two old farms between St. Quivox church and Ayr have/had Sanquhar in their names as does a street in Ayr. There's also a modern St. Quivox church (R.C.) in Prestwick, next town to Ayr.
Cowban

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
In the 1885 Valuations Rolls there is this entry:

James Affleck, tenant, House No 53 Elba Street West Side, St Quivox

The 1881 census shows that property as multi occupancy with a number of different households there. The VRs show different entries for it, as House 53 and House 53 West Side.

Monica

PS. Welcome to RootsChat from me also, Goldie64 :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
From this post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=423441.0, some further details on the street from JustJean:

I'm guessing the confusion is arising from the various divisions used on the census.  In 1901 your family is resisding at 44 Elba St.  By the way I think your Robert is only 30 but it looks like a 32 with the enumerators slash through the 0.  The 1901 census is like you say recorded as the Quod Sacra parish of Wallacetown within the Civil Parish of Ayr.  If you go back 10 years to the census of 1891 to see if the 44 Elba St address existed you'll find that there is not a record of a family at 44.  It seems to jump from 42 Elba Street to 46 Elba St.  The free header info obtained from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for this census indicates that the Elba St addresses are located within these descriptive boundaries..... "so much of the civil parish of St. Quivox being part of the Quod sacra parish of Wallacetown within the parlimentary burgh of Ayr and the school board district of Ayr as lies on the north of Content St from Elba St. to Craigie gate thence along the line of the Ayr and Dalmellington railway to a point in a line of the centre of Elba St including Queen St from Elba St southward, then down Elba St to Content St including the south side of Elba St.,Boghall Row Lane or Elba St Lane from Church St to Elba St Church St on the north side of Content St James St on the south east side of Elba St and all other lanes within the boundary".   

I don't think there is more than one Elba Street...just more than one way of dividing the area for census purposes.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Wallacetoun Action Group Facebook page has photos of streets in the area possibly dating around 1900, with comments.
 https://ww.facebook.com/Wallacetown-Action-Group-1969158409964749

The photos are from Remembering Auld Ayr Facebook. The modern picture at top of Remembering Auld Ayr page is taken from the harbour. The Wallacetoun area is beyond the bridge on left side of river.

Cowban