Author Topic: Help! Trying to set up a DNA test for my brother  (Read 1028 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Trying to set up a DNA test for my brother
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Plk.  I do that too can manage both  the one on my other account and my sisters from this month's worldwide subs

Because I made myself editor
But I can't compare dna matches for locations or named on the non paid  up sites just see new matches
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid MCDERMID McDiarmid Gardner Jones ,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson ,McKay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 07:35 GMT (UK) »
I had to do the same as Sugarfizzle, except I used hubby's own email address to which I have password.  I couldn't figure out how to "manage" his DNA either.  But I only have one account active at a time so they don't get double subs - I copied his tree to the new account, then made it private.

It is easy to manage someone else's DNA

DNA
DNA settings top right
DNA Ethnicity and Matches Access
Add a person as Viewer, Collaborator or Manager

I am hubbies manager, he is attached to himself in my tree. One account, two sets of DNA attached, you could add lots more as long as they have a separate email address initially.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 08:09 GMT (UK) »
I think the crux of the matter is not to open new account or set up their own trees.

When results are in simply attach the dna to that person in your tree - presumably they are on there if part of your family - if not add them and then attach their dna.

Once you set them up as being managed by you you can see all their matches and respond etc as it is your paid up account.

When looking for matches you simply use the option on your main dna page to view another test.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I phoned Ancestry to ask if I could do that and they insisted each person had to have separate email  account. .I think those who did it several years ago got a better deal ...and we're able to link several tests to 1 account
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid MCDERMID McDiarmid Gardner Jones ,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson ,McKay

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Non-DNA related, but similar problem ;D
My friend and neighbour lives in top flat; she doesn't have a computer or even a smart phone.
Her new job insists on sending payslips via email!

So, I set up an alias on my own email account ;D
Easy-peasy!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gt Gt Grandfather Shepherd from Aberdeen 1827-1910
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Its always easy peasy after the event!

I also think all you people who have set up DNA accounts for your husbands/wives must have found it relatively easy as well, though where you magically conjure up this additional email address for yourself is beyond me.

I think the main problem lies with Ancestry insisting that every account is in the name of the actual tester. I can see why - obviously for security reasons. I understand this wasn't the case when it first started so a lot of you will have found it very easy!

My brother - bless him - is not a computer user if he can possibly help it. He's just not of that generation and, like a lot of people of our age, decided not to bother other than emails and the ocasional game of online scrabble.   ;) We family historians had to try to get to grips with it as best we could, but, speaking for myself, it doesn't come naturally. (How did you guess?!!)  :-[

I think how we got there in the end was because I could key in his password, but it took some time with all the trying this and trying that we did! Even then, he (i.e. me) had to send an email to me (i.e. me) inviting me to manage his account (yes. I agree, Margaret, that bit was easy) and then ring him back and talk him through how to agree to that and send me (i.e. me) an email agreeing the transaction.

Now for the easy bit (I hope) : inviting him round to spit....I'm not helping him with that!!!  :o

Jill
BRICKWALL - WILLIAM HORWOOD bn c.1779 in or near Berks. N.B. NOT s/o William & Joanna in Waltham St Lawrence.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I phoned Ancestry to ask if I could do that and they insisted each person had to have separate email  account. .I think those who did it several years ago got a better deal ...and we're able to link several tests to 1 account

They have to have their own account, but it can be managed by one person. This was not from several years ago, but only from last year after the new rules were in.

"Posted by: jillruss
on: Today at 12:05

I also think all you people who have set up DNA accounts for your husbands/wives must have found it relatively easy as well, though where you magically conjure up this additional email address for yourself is beyond me."

I have my most used hotmail address, a Gmail address and an NTL world address.

I could have a few more if I wanted to, I'm sure.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gt Gt Grandfather Shepherd from Aberdeen 1827-1910
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Well, there you have my computer un-savyness in a nutshell, Margaret!

Still, its done now (hopefully!) and I don't think I'll be doing another one in a hurry!

I appreciate your help.

Jill
BRICKWALL - WILLIAM HORWOOD bn c.1779 in or near Berks. N.B. NOT s/o William & Joanna in Waltham St Lawrence.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for this. I am looking at Ancestry but would like explanation/confirmation from someone who has done this.

I have full acct with Ancestry but no published tree. I have DNA contacts (lots) shown and that is fine. Most of them have no trees either but I do have some knowledge of origins and enjoy all that.

I now have a kit for someone else who has no desire to subscribe to Ancestry.
Is this the correct procedurej please?
The other person sets up an account with Ancestry but not a subscription account.
The test is sent off under this name.
When results are received, the other person and I exchange emails arranging for me to manage the DNA results and we also tick something on the other person's account to confirm this.

It must be ok. I have a couple of DNA connections with managed accounts and no trees.

Its a bit scary.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk