Author Topic: Help! Trying to set up a DNA test for my brother  (Read 2863 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Trying to set up a DNA test for my brother
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
You can run into trouble when it comes to.payments too

My sis lives in Sweden and Ancestr UK were not letting.me pay to re activate her account !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

It IS a bit scary but I think you've more or less got it right. I shouldn't really be the one to answer your question as I had difficulties and needed help (as you can see from the above posts ).

The only points I'd make or add are:

I think you (or the tester) have to activate the test before it gets sent off, with the unique activation code on the tube.

I also think that you can sort out who is managing the test etc at the activation stage OR when the results come in by doing what Sugarfizzle (Margaret) listed a few posts back.

I hope others will correct me if I've got any of it wrong but I didn't want your request for an explanation to get lost, as I know how easy it is to get into a frazzle with it all.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jill.

The test is there - on the table still wrapped and I will try to sort it over the weekend  :)
My own, of course, was no problem and I really enjoy the results.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 November 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Jill, You don't have to activate the test before sending it off, but you have to keep the number!!

You can activate it at any time, and appoint viewers, collaborators and manager at any time. You could change yours today if you wanted to.

Heywood, emails not involved at all, the other person nominates you as manager through their DNA page.

It is a fairly easy process when you get to doing it, sounds more complicated than it is.

Take a look at your DNA settings and have a fiddle.

As for not having a tree, you really are missing out, I think. I can rarely see connections with matches without trees, unless through shared matches and a responsive match.

2 of my closest matches, managed by the same person, I have not been able to positively connect to. No tree and manager not interested.

Both they and I are potentially missing out.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 November 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Yrs, I keep thinking I should have a tree.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 November 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Heywood At least start a mini tree with some names ..and locations ..that can help potential matches identify you r family branch
Glad you are enjoying it .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 November 18 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Margaret ...I sent a message directly to the person who was a close match .Tho I think someone else manages his

He wrote a s brief note telling me I was already in touch with his sister so had all information to. THAT was true ..I knew all the ancestors that she knows and we share information. .BUT not aboutique the living people so I didn't know which g great aunt he descended from or which generation he is .Now I can put him on tree anonymously and get more links.he comes out as 2nd cousin whereas his sis comes out as 3rd match to my mum
 on tree mutual great grandparents

Also when you message tree managers are sure you say which of their trees you are referring to .some managesso many for others they've onto necessarily know who you are referring to Its worth sending a message via their profile and another via the link on matches option. ..

Try again ..in case they issued the first message ...good luck

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 November 18 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Brigidmac

'Also when you message tree managers are sure you say which of their trees you are referring to .some managesso many for others they've onto necessarily know who you are referring to Its worth sending a message via their profile and another via the link on matches option.'

Your advice is good, and something we should all be doing. I made that mistake when I first started with DNA and got the same advice back, though not as politely worded!!

But now I always put 'DNA match between sugarfizzle and XYZ' in the message subject and start off by saying 'XYZ has come up as a match with me sugarfizzle'. Also on ancestry, at least, there is a link at the bottom of the message thread to 'View the match'

I have messaged this person a few times, she initially replied, but says there cannot possibly be a connection. The matches she manages are shared matches with 6 other people where I know the connection. One match shares 61cM across 4 segments, the other 57 across 5. Every few weeks another known shared match appears.

So I know which family she connects to, but not exactly where. I think she is missing out more than me, actually.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 November 18 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Margaret ...that's such a shame ..
The man who matched my great grandmother had slightly different age for her but luckily had open mind .sounds like your administration link has dismissed you because of 1 difference like that

So have you tried messaging the 6 other contacts directly? If they have their own account they may see the message and show an interest despite their relatives obstinacy. ..especially if you give them some information or phot or or something they may not have....
I manage my sisters account she only looks at it occasionally but is really pleased to see any new connection