Author Topic: Marriage in Wye 1599  (Read 2257 times)

Offline watney

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in Wye 1599
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage in Wye between Jacob Silver and Mary Rooke, is there any one who knows of any information regarding whether this Mary is the daughter of Laurence Rooke and Ursula Scott who was
 c.1579 in Brabourne.

Crossing my fingers, kind regards, Brenda

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Wye 1599
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth investigating the will of Laurence ROOKE of Monks Horton (not too far away) dated 1612.

PRC/10/36/11

https://wills.canterbury-cathedral.org/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline watney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, you're a star    Best wishes, Brenda

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
The D'Elboux manuscripts    entry 1058

http://www.shelwin.com/e/Thanet_Research/pk_delbo2.pdf

mentions Laurence ROOKE

Thomas, Elisabeth, Marie, George, Anne, Ursula, William John & William ch.

I presume these were his children.

Were the names Marie and Mary interchangeable :-\

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 09:54 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage in Wye between Jacob Silver and Mary Rooke, is there any one who knows of any information regarding whether this Mary is the daughter of Laurence Rooke and Ursula Scott who was
 c.1579 in Brabourne.

Crossing my fingers, kind regards, Brenda

Hi,
I really dislike having to break bubbles, but this one I have to.  Sorry.  Mary Rooke was actually Mary Rucke, the daughter of John Ruck(e) and his second wife, Thomasine nee Forward.  Mary was my half-1st cousin, 11 times removed.  She is named in the Will of her mother, along with Jacob Sylver.  I will add the beginning portion of the Will for you at the bottom of my reply.  Mary was also mentioned in the Will of Simon Ruck(e), her half-brother as Marie Silver.  I will also post the snippet from that Will for you, too.  I descend through her half-brother Jeoffrey Ruck(e).  The Ruck surname is spelled in various ways throughout the parishes in which the larger family lived.  I've seen it spelled as Wroucke, Rooke, Rook, Ruck, Rucke, Rukke, and in one Will I have the surname is spelled 7 different ways in the space of 5 pages!

John Ruck, Mary's father was born circa 1513 and was buried at Sheldwich on 15 July 1600.  His father, also John, was born circa 1485 and died prior to 24 Apr 1542, when probate of his Will was granted.  This last John married a Margaret - surname still unknown, even after 30+ years of researching this family.  John and Margaret had only 2 sons known, John and his brother William.  The family seat was in Boughton-under-Blean.  I suspect that the earliest John was the son of a Hamon Rucke for whom there is a Chancery Court File but which I haven't been able to access.

Mary's parents, John and Thomasine had 12 children, 2 of whom died as infants.  Mary's father John, by his first marriage to Johan, my ancestress, had 8 children, all of whom survived to adulthood and did marry and have children.  So it was quite a ranging family! 

Now for the snippets from the Wills:

Anno Domini 1610 October 25th

IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN, I, THOMASIN RUCKE, of the parish of Preston near Faversham, widow, being sick in body, but of good and perfect memory and remembrance, make this my last Will and Testament, revoking all former Wills.

First, I give my soul into the hands of Almighty God, hoping to have salvation through the merits of Christ my Saviour; And my body I commit to the earth until the last day.  And for my worldly goods thus I do dispose of them.

First, I give unto the poor people of Sheldwich 3s 4d to be paid to the collectors within 6 months after my death.

Item, I give unto the three children of JACOB SYLVER, to every one of them 6s 8d to be bestowed on them at the discretion of VALENTYNE RUCK* within 6 months after my death.

And the snippet from the Will of Simon Rucke:

IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN, the seventh day of April in the year of our Lord Christ, one thousand six hundred and eight and twenty, I, SIMON RUCKE, the elder, of the parish of Sheldwich in the County of Kent, yeoman, sick in body but whole in mind and of good and perfect remembrance, (God be therefore thanked), do make and ordain my last Will and Testament in manner and form following....

item, I give to my sister MARIE SILVER twenty shillings to be paid her by my Executor within one whole year next after my decease.

The Valentyne Ruck mentioned was Mary's full biological brother.

Enjoy!
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline watney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.......Brenda 

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
\

Hi, Brenda,

You are quite welcome.  Reading back over my post, this morning, I see that I forgot to include the bequest to Mary Sylver from her mother!  Silly me.  So, here it is from the Will of Thomasine Ruck:

"Item, I give unto my daughter MARY SYLVER twenty shillings in money or worth in apparel within three months after my death. "

The source for Thomasine Rucke's Will is:
 Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, Proved Wills PRC/17/59/204-Original Wills PRC/16/139 R/8, 12 Dec 1610,

The source for Simon Rucke's Will is:
Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, Proved Wills PRC/17/67/52b-Original Wills PRC/16/191 R/2, 1628.

Cheers.
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:20 BST (UK) »

Oh dear!  I also see that I forgot to send you Marie's baptismal details:

baptised as Marie Ruck daughter of John Ruck, on 27 Jan 1578 at Sheldwich, Kent.  Source:  Parish Register, Sheldwich.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline watney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you, you're a star  :)