Author Topic: "no presentment" - Legal Term. What does it mean?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"no presentment" - Legal Term. What does it mean?
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Price family in Victoria and came across this newspaper article from the 24th July 1914

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91575073

"Mr. S. Leon (Crown Prosecutor) made an announcement at the Sale Criminal Court to-day in connection with the case, the King v. David John Kelly. The body of Charles Price was found at
Scrubby Creek, near Omeo on Sunday, 14th April. There was a bullet wound in the body. At the inquest it was alleged that Kelly had threatened to "do for" his wife and Price if he caught them together.

A verdict was returned that death was the result of a gunshot wound, and Kelly was
committed for trial on a charge of murder. Mr. Leon stated that no presentment
would be filed against Kelly."

Can anyone tell me what this actually means? My thinking is that the Prosecution decided not to proceed with the case which is quite extraordinary considering the evidence.

Thanks

Rickey

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: "no presentment" - Legal Term. What does it mean?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:14 GMT (UK) »
presentment
A document listing the charges against an accused. It is given to the court to
begin a court case.

ADD

https://www.victorialawfoundation.org.au/sites/default/files/resources/Legal-glossary.pdf

No presentment ... NO document given to the court to begin that case, thus NO prosecution ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mckha489 and JM. I can find no record of a subsequent court case so that makes sense. Interesting times when someone could be shot in the back and the perpetrator (alleged) was not brought to trial. ;-)

Rickey

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:32 GMT (UK) »
However, JM, it states that he was committed for trial.

and Kelly was committed for trial on a charge of murder.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Agree JJ but a No Presentation can be presented when the trial is about to commence...  so a person can be charged, a trial date set, and then even on the day, or during the course of the trial, the Prosecution can withdraw.  It is something that still happens even today, the police withdraw, and so the defendant is allowed to walk freely from the court.

Criminal law has a test ... beyond reasonable doubt ...versus Hearsay that can be heard at an inquest 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm not so sure Jamjar. It is a little ambiguous. It says

"At the inquest it was alleged that Kelly had threatened to "do for" his wife and Price if he caught them together. A verdict was returned that death was the result of a gunshot wound, and Kelly was
committed for trial on a charge of murder. "

So this was at the inquest.

The newspaper article is quoting the Crown Prosecutor saying "that no presentment would be filed against Kelly."

So, following the inquest the Prosecutor decided that the trial would not proceed.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Kelly granted bail, last column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article26120670

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm not so sure Jamjar. It is a little ambiguous. It says

"At the inquest it was alleged that Kelly had threatened to "do for" his wife and Price if he caught them together. A verdict was returned that death was the result of a gunshot wound, and Kelly was
committed for trial on a charge of murder. "

So this was at the inquest.

The newspaper article is quoting the Crown Prosecutor saying "that no presentment would be filed against Kelly."

So, following the inquest the Prosecutor decided that the trial would not proceed.

Some months after the inquest, the Crown Prosecutor (so the Police) advised the Criminal Court that they were NOT presenting a case for prosecuting the charge of murder against David John Kelly.

JM