Author Topic: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 20 December 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I read that one of the major differences in the TV adaptation is that in reality Ruth Wilson's grandmother only knew about the first wife and found out later that she and Alexander never divorced.

I think showing Alison finding out about the other three women added to the drama and was a valid variation on the way events really unfolded. It was Michael who initiated the search for his father when he discovered that the story his mother had told him about his father did not tally.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 March 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I have just watched the DVD of Mrs Wilson and thoroughly enjoyed it but as previously mentioned, it left a lot of unanswered questions. I will look for the book in the library and see if that helps.
Life is messy though; sometimes we never get the full story.
I have several cases of bigamy in my tree -one lady claimed she was a widow but her husband was just in jail; one gentleman ran off with his lodger but they never actually married - just had a couple of children.
Wasn't it good to see a good drama though - and truth is often stranger than fiction.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 04:31 BST (UK) »
How about that?!  :D I was chatting to a fellow member, tonight. I mentioned a film I'd seen recently, on Netflix. She came back with wondering if This one was on there!

" So, what? " Ye may well be thinking. Well; That was a couple of hours ago. And this is the first time in my life I've ever even Looked in this board!  8)

Cue; Twilight Zone music .....
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 08 April 19 08:48 BST (UK) »

For those who asked who funded Alison and the children's lifestyle, at one stage Alison mentions a bequest from her mother - later she sold her house and bought houses for her sons, so she must have been comfortable at that stage. I thought it an odd decision for her to take her vows (or whatever she took) in the Catholic Church. I suppose this provided the support she felt she needed. (reminded me of Prince Philip's mother becoming a nun).

Very different and very interesting.  :)

I had the impression that Alison was trying to atone for her own guilt. As I recall, the portrayal was that she seduced Alex despite knowing he was already married.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.