Author Topic: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I just watched the very absorbing new drama on BBC1, "Mrs Wilson".
Curious, as I understood the series was based in fact, I looked for further detail.

For those who like a spoiler you can read more here:
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-11-27/what-is-the-real-life-story-behind-ruth-wilsons-new-bbc-drama-mrs-wilson/#r3z-addoor

The actress Ruth Wilson is a grandchild of Alexander Wilson.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
We  enjoyed this !! Ruth Wilson was playing her own grandmother.

Funnily enough I read a novel a couple of months ago and the storyline was very similar.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
We  enjoyed this !! Ruth Wilson was playing her own grandmother.

Funnily enough I read a novel a couple of months ago and the storyline was very similar.

It must be very strange to act being your own grandmother......
Which novel BillyF?

I always wish, and WISH that I would find something exciting/different during my research, but here is a definite case of "be careful what you wish for".......
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Enjoyed this episode, but kept getting confused over the flashbacks.  Ruth Wilson didn't seem to age over the 20+ years covered by the story, apart from her hairstyle.  (And I can't help being fascinated by her upper lip, sorry.)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
" Which novel BillyF? "

It was called " Before the Storm " written by Judith Lennox .

Also, another strange coincidence, on yesterday`s episode of the Chase there was a contestant who said she was doing Family History and she had discovered that " her " father also had 2 other families which no- one knew about. One was in Runcorn and the other in Somerset, but I missed where it was she came from.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I know ( upper lip  oooooh)    I didnt want to watch it .. cos I hated what she did to the wonderful Idris.... (It was him wasnt it... !!!)

But luckily OH set to record and so will give it a go.. with a slack upper lip.. ha ha ha..

xin

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed it and wasn't confused by the flashbacks at all.  What I DID really love was the announcer at the end who came on and, instead of giving information about the next episode, said "Who the flip is Dorothy?"  - that said it all! 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
There were a couple of glimpses of Dorothy in the first episode !

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D Lydiaann.

Thank you BillyF I will look out for it.

Xin you are funny, though I confess I was almost thinking the same thing. (NO Luther can NOT have done it!!)

But in terms of family history research, I reckon the story of "Mrs Wilson" takes the biscuit.