Author Topic: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......  (Read 7499 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I` ve had a little smile to myself, SmallTime Girl over the comment about Dorothy`s hat!

It`s entirely possible for her to have been wearing the same one. When I saw the dvd of a relatives 1961 wedding my dad was wearing the same trilby ( and coat ) that he`s wearing in his 1941 honeymoon photos.

Looking forward to next week`s episode.

With all due respect to trilbys, they all look the same  ;), but a woman's hat, now that's a different story  ;D

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
A few things from Episode 2.

Did I imagine it or:
1.  Did Keeley Hawes (aka Dorothy Wick) wear the same hat during WW2 that she wore to Alex's funeral in 1962? 
2. When Alison was talking to Dorothy's son, Michael/Mike, did he say that he had all his father's books?  Well, if Mike believed his father died in 1942, who did he think was writing the later ones?  Or have I lost the plot?

STG

Good point about the books...he did say books not looks didn't he ?

Back in the early '50s and into the '60's my Mum had what she called her wedding and funeral hat.  Apart from a headscarf I think it was the only hat she owned.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »

Did I imagine it or:
1.  Did Keeley Hawes (aka Dorothy Wick) wear the same hat during WW2 that she wore to Alex's funeral in 1962? 
2. When Alison was talking to Dorothy's son, Michael/Mike, did he say that he had all his father's books?  Well, if Mike believed his father died in 1942, who did he think was writing the later ones?  Or have I lost the plot?

STG

Back in the early '50s and into the '60's my Mum had what she called her wedding and funeral hat.  Apart from a headscarf I think it was the only hat she owned.

Last books apparently  published in 1940, so Michael could easily have them all. 

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »

Did I imagine it or:

STG

Last books apparently  published in 1940, so Michael could easily have them all.

Really!   :o

What was he (Alex) doing with himself for the last 20-odd years of his life then on that typewriter of his?  How did he earn a living - apart from Alison's job in a typing pool?

And now he's dead, Alison's given up her job, so what's she living on, because Gladys has his pension?

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I think there`s going to be an even bigger surprise next time !!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 December 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Recorded this lot, because I knew I'd not be able to watch them in "real time" - now not quite sure if I want to, or not???
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 December 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
We are enjoying this, and clearly finding it as bewildering as everybody else. It would help if the flashbacks could be in black and white. I'm also amazed that all the 1963 cars are all in immaculate condition, suggesting that they have been borrowed from some car fanatics restoration group. I also remember from the funeral, a black man mentioning all that people that Alex knew from the hospital. We haven't seen any more of him so I hope he appears in episode 3. I certainly think there are more adventures to come yet.  I was going to make a comment about Keeley Hawes, but speech recognition on my tablet keeps changing it to Keeley Horse.

Martin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 December 18 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Last nights ... was for me... not nice..   Yes I was enjoying the series.. but it was a bit too nasty side showing.. and ... he is NOT a nice person .. whatever reason he gives for all his 'link ups' / attachments .. the hard/true side of life shows that he was a totally selfish male.... who maybe saved hundreds of life.. but he abused his so called wives   and I am not in anyway trying to be politically correct.. or to look from the next page and all that rubbish.. I am looking at it from the point of view of two women I knew who lived that kind of life..  and I dont like him..

sorry

xin

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 December 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
It makes me wonder just what sort of person can keep up that amount of deception for such a long time.  As you say " not nice "