Author Topic: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......  (Read 7496 times)

Online suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
How do men like him fund their disfunctional lifestyle...?  His last book was written in 1940. His families appear to have lived pretty much hand to mouth while he carried on regardless  >:(

Ok, maybe at the time, during the war, he did what he did for good reasons with Dorothy but I cannot fathom his reasoning for his deception with Alison, how did she benefit his war effort ?

Not wishing to spoil things but I read that there is yet another wife, four in all  :o  Apart from known facts the man himself remains a mystery.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 December 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
In recent weeks I've been watching repeats of the 1960s/70s detective drama, Public Eye. on the Talking Pictures channel. I've just watched an episode called "The man who didn't like sweets", and it tells almost exactly the same story as Mrs Wilson. For anyone who doesn't remember the original TV series, it features Alfred Burke as private eye Frank Marker. Early in the series it was set in Brighton before moving to Windsor. Anyone enjoying Mrs Wilson should watch this as it is now available on YouTube. There is a great line in it, after our hero has found the man with 3 wives, the villain says "My wife is a woman in a million!" and Frank says "I'm sure she is."  Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtgaaSgT38&list=PL2OKZznDTlDXwTUl8KMK2WXdlyZ_LLa7w&index=9

Martin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
UUUUHM

xin

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »

I found this drama very absorbing, - especially as my brick wall is a Wilson one :-)))

I kept thinking that he couldn't get away with it now, - because of mobiles, the Internet, etc...

I've found several cases of bigamy  in my family through my family history research, - but they weren't on the Wilson side!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
This maybe could have had an extra episode; the 4th " marriage " seemed like a bit of an afterthought, although it the story was shown from Alison`s point of view. We still don`t know how Alec funded it. BBC news shows that actually he didn`t - he might have saved a lot of lives, but he gave his families a lot of hardship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46456654

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I found it interesting reading the article on BBC news website written by Ruths brother Sam.

It is such a shame that they are not able to get to the truth, what ever that is, about what actually happened to him....

Did he indeed get bumped by MI6 for elaborating the transcripts he heard..
Did he just live in a fantasy world which he then recreated in his books...

The family coming together after decades is wonderful considering what they had all been through with the lies being told. This has brought them closer and I do hope that eventually they will discover what it was he actually did!

I enjoyed the three programmes and thought it was very brave of Ruth to play the part of her grandmother knowing the circumstances of her life with and without Alec.

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »

I've reserved the book by Tim Crook about Alec Wilson at my local Library.

An interesting Article by him about his research here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n5o/

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
that is an interesting read

xin

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »

They sound like a fascinating family. Imagine unearthing something like this from your family history research!

Romilly.
Researching: