Author Topic: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......  (Read 7543 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: Will the real Mrs Wilson please stand up......
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I`m going to see if my local library can find the book for me.

Alec`s life sounds very intriguing, but how much hardship he put on his families.

First there was love then betrayal, but it`s lovely that all the families have come together.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 16 December 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I binge watched this series this afternoon and was going to start a thread to see if anyone else had seen it - lucky I searched "Mrs Wilson", and found this ongoing thread.

I really enjoyed this series. There are a few questions that I don't think were answered fully, but in real life there is still so much the family don't know about him. How frustrating that they are unable to see his files. I wonder if they will ever be 'opened'?

For those who asked who funded Alison and the children's lifestyle, at one stage Alison mentions a bequest from her mother - later she sold her house and bought houses for her sons, so she must have been comfortable at that stage. I thought it an odd decision for her to take her vows (or whatever she took) in the Catholic Church. I suppose this provided the support she felt she needed. (reminded me of Prince Philip's mother becoming a nun).

Very different and very interesting.  :)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 16 December 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »

I found this drama very absorbing, - especially as my brick wall is a Wilson one :-)))

I kept thinking that he couldn't get away with it now, - because of mobiles, the Internet, etc...

I've found several cases of bigamy  in my family through my family history research, - but they weren't on the Wilson side!

Romilly.

I did think of you a couple of times whilst watching it Romilly  ;D

In a way it was a shame he wasn't your chap eh? LOL

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 16 December 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Back to the " funding " !! The story was told from Alison`s point of view, but we don`t know how the others managed to live. I wish it had been just another episode longer to fill in the gaps, although I would probably be saying the same thing then !!

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 16 December 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I`m going to see if my local library can find the book for me.

Alec`s life sounds very intriguing, but how much hardship he put on his families.

First there was love then betrayal, but it`s lovely that all the families have come together.

Be sure to request the 2nd edition.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 16 December 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I found this drama very absorbing, - especially as my brick wall is a Wilson one :-)))
 I kept thinking that he couldn't get away with it now, - because of mobiles, the Internet, etc...
I've found several cases of bigamy  in my family through my family history research, - but they weren't on the Wilson side!
Romilly.

I did think of you a couple of times whilst watching it Romilly  ;D

In a way it was a shame he wasn't your chap eh? LOL

Carol

I keep expecting someone to pop up on the DNA 'Matches' from WJ Wilson's 'other' family, - but nothing as yet :-) Perhaps I'm doing him a disservice, and there wasn't one...

Romilly  :-\
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Having read the Radio Times synopsis of the 3 part Mrs Wilson and having watched it, I wished to see if Tim Crooks book gave any different information.  I bit the bullet and the bank card and downloaded a copy of the first edition of “The Secret Lives of a Secret Agent: The mysterious life and times of Alexander Wilson”. The kindle edition is £22:42. It is over 600 pages. It is an interesting read. You do need to work your way through the social history that the author peppers the pages with and the referencing. However, Tim Crook is an academic and he has written this book with solid foundation. I won’t spoil any of the content for Rootschatters. Suffice to say, that the TV edition took a great deal of ‘poetic licence’ with what really transpired. I don’t suppose that many would be surprised with how it was portrayed on TV to actually how Alec Wilson’s past was discovered by his family. Its still a cracking read.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I was considering buying the book but read a few reviews of it which were fairly scathing - too long and heavy going was the gist of most of them (written in a hard to get along with academic manner).  :-\

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 20 December 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing that kathb.

My Library Reservation for this book is now 'In Process' and so I'm looking forward to getting hold of it. I was expecting some 'poetic licence'; that always seems to happen with TV adaptations(!)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.