Author Topic: Going to the LDS Centre...  (Read 1356 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Going to the LDS Centre...
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Am pondering going to my local one some time to look at non-local parish records, but would like to understand what I might be letting myself in for first. Do you have to fend off eager bible bashers trying to indoctrinate you before you've even sat down, or be strong armed into making donations to further their proselytising etc etc? Or is it just like visiting your local CRO so there's nothing to be afraid of?

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Going to the LDS Centre...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Am pondering going to my local one some time to look at non-local parish records, but would like to understand what I might be letting myself in for first. Do you have to fend off eager bible bashers trying to indoctrinate you before you've even sat down, or be strong armed into making donations to further their proselytising etc etc? Or is it just like visiting your local CRO so there's nothing to be afraid of?

Not at all!  When I started on my FH, I went to our local LDS, and they were fantastic.  There were no questions about my religion, nor did anyone even mention anything religious!

You will need to improve your communication skills though, this is a website where there are lot of people, Christians or Otherwise, who go out of their way to help everyone as much as they can, absolutely free!   You must realise that some of those people may well be LDS members, that will find your post negative and offensive, and that is not how Rootschat works!  Please think again how to create and post a message that will not be likely to offend, as it has offended me!! ☹️
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I have been to a LDS centre loads of times and never has there been

eager bible bashers trying to indoctrinate you before you've even sat down, or be strong armed into making donations to further their proselytising etc etc

in fact they have been rather well run and efficient.

If you decide to go hope its a success and you find what you are looking for.

Tip: make sure will be able to look at what you want at the centre either by using their catalogue or checking with the centre before you go.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I have used 2 different LDS Centres, and I have never had a problem ;D

I don't class myself as a Christian and, to be honest, I have had more pressure at some Catholic Churches! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I have used an LDS centre for 18 years and no one has ever mentioned religion to me. I understand there is a policy not to raise religion with Family History Centre "patrons" - that is you and me.

As I have naturally become friendly with the lovely volunteers I have also attended funerals etc and apart from the service, noone has mentioned religion or tried to convert me. I get the impression that being a missionary is something you go away to do for a couple of years as a young person, but is not something most LDS members continue to do after that period. Apologies to LDS members if I have misunderstood.

I am not religious but have only had positive experiences with LDS members, who I have always seen treating members of the public with courtesy and respect, even those few members of the public who seem not to understand access to the FHCs is not a government funded service access to which they are automatically entitled.

The main issue for you is to check ahead to see what resources the local centre holds as you can no longer order films in. The LDS is in the process of digitising its holdings but some record owners are less co-operative than others (looking at you Northumberland Archives).

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 00:54 GMT (UK) »
LDS family history centres are a godsend - pun intended.

Religion never comes up.

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Good to know, a weight off my mind, thanks everyone  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »

You will be pleasantly astounded that visiting a LDS Family History Center is nothing like you describe , in fact the majority I have visited are far more friendly and welcoming than many of the officious CROs I have visited.

No member of the LDS is allowed to behave in the way you suggest in one of their family history centers even though they (the members) pay for the running and upkeep of the facility.
In many cases members of the general public of many faiths and even those with no faith volunteer to help man the family history center.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Steady Rollin man, that is such a valuable comment you have made. I have worried about this. We have all experienced the attitude of religious zealots, especially the ones who turn up uninvited at your door. I can assure you that your fears have kept me from ever going to an LDS venue. You have epitomized my fears and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If and when I go to an LDS venue I will give you a smile.

Martin