Author Topic: Best ancestry website to dowload a few census images?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Best ancestry website to dowload a few census images?
« on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I have reached the point with my research where I have most of the census images that pertain to the records I’m likely to find (the major challenge now being to take things further back). However, I could do with getting maybe half-a-dozen more census images. I’d appreciate some guidance on what may be the best deals out there at the moment, and the most reliable for coverage. I don’t think I need longer term membership of a website.

Thanks,

Dave
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Best ancestry website to dowload a few census images?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Census records for where? and when? Lots of Family Search- https://www.familysearch.org/search/hr/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Try your local library ;D

They may have access (for free) to Ancestry or FindMyPast.
Download the images and copy to a USB memory stick.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I have found some of the records on FamilySearch but now want to purchase photos of the actual census pages so that I have images of the original documents rather than transcripts, and was wondering which of the commercial websites is currently the best for a short-term membership.

Dave.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I have found some of the records on FamilySearch but now want to purchase photos of the actual census pages so that I have images of the original documents rather than transcripts, and was wondering which of the commercial websites is currently the best for a short-term membership.
Dave.

Again, I ask "Census records for where? and when?" so that we can make suggestions (lots of the census records on FS do have images and if they don't will often refer you to another site).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Dave, check your local library. Many of them provide free access.  Another option is to sign up for a trial period, as these often vary between a week and a month or so. You would have to give your credit card details, but I have never had any problem in terminating arrangements like this if I have not been happy with a particular Service during a trial period. I did this with the British newspaper archive, for a trial period before signing up for a year.

Martin

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. The census records I’m interested in are quite widespread geographically and by date, I just don’t envisage needing many, so Martin’s suggestion seems best.

Dave :)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
The census records I’m interested in are quite widespread geographically and by date

Ok, but which country/countries are you looking at?  England is different from Scotland which is different from USA etc.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
The censuses are all in England, certainly. Probably Lincolnshire, Surrey, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, but I don’t know all the dates needed yet.