Author Topic: Searching for Bay immigrants  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Bay immigrants
« on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if anyone has possibly information on any indentures, or sentenced convicts or anything passengers arriving in the English Colonies in the Early to Mid 1600s with the surname Bay including spelling variations Bays;Bayes;Bay, please share with me!
Thank you very much!
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Bay immigrants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
American Colonies included?
Savage's Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, A-C, lists two men:

Bay, or Bayes,
  Matthew, Ipswich 1659.
  Thomas, Dedham, by wife Ann had Ruth, born 2, baptized 16 July 1643; and Thomas, 1, baptized 22 March 1646; removed to Boston

which means there was a man named Matthew Bay/Bayes in Ipswich, Massachusetts, by 1659. And a Thomas Bay/Bayes was in Dedham, Massachusetts, and had two children by his wife Ann born and baptized there,  and then he moved to Boston, Massachusetts.

I assume that Savage's abbreviations mean that Thomas' daughter was born 2 July 1643 and Thomas was born 1 March 1646, but I am not positive about that part.

the book is out of copyright, free and digitized at
https://archive.org/details/agenealogicaldi00unkngoog/page/n6

Look for the Great Migration series also. That won't be online however, at least not free. Maybe at americanAncestors.org. Every so often they offer free access to databases, so keep an eye out.

Savage's book is dated 1860 and more recent research might have found more men. In fact, I think there might be an update to Savage's book itself. He did A - Z by the way, but I guess when they digitized it they broke it up in pieces.

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow you found something that two well seasoned genealogical researchers/historians I assume overlooked. Tommy L. West even stated in his book in 2008, that the first Bay mentioned in the colonies other than John Bay being claimed as a headright in virginia in 1642, was in 1699 the Will of a John Bay born circa 1650s in Maryland.
I'm very appreciative !..thank you this opened a new door to the research
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. Assuming Savage is right. Now you have to find them.
The BMD of Massachusetts to 1850 should be digitized online free somewhere, archives.org, Google Books or etc. Also lists of freemen in an area, wills, deeds, etc.

It's been a long while since I worked on New England ancestors - all my wife's and I did her side first - so I forget a lot of what is available. But those early people have been researched so many times, you should find them if they're there. Look on rootsweb etc., also. Often people will transcribe information from books into their database and then put it on line. Or just google the names and places, and add in what you find as you go along. there might be half a dozen sites devoted to Bays or Ipswich or both.