Author Topic: Looking for Joseph Thompson and Hannah Nicholson  (Read 471 times)

Offline cjackson100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Joseph Thompson and Hannah Nicholson
« on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to Joseph Thompson Birth possibly between 1817/1821 don't know where.

He Married a Hannah Nicholson in Leeds 2 March 1840, and he was a weaver,  His father was called John Thompson, and her father Christopher Nicholson, both weavers, (don't know anymore about them)

On 21 December 1840 they had a daughter Mary Ann Thompson, born Leeds, mothers maiden name Nicholson.

On the 1841 census, they were all living at Leeds, and Joseph is a Linen weaver, and it looks like there is an F in the where born.

Cannot find an 1851 Census.

In 1861 Hannah and Mary Ann are now calling themselves Nicholson and living in Sheffield, there is also a grandson John Henry Thompson birth 1860 no mothers maiden name, called Nicholson on the census.  No sign of Joseph Thompson.

On 16 April 1866 Mary Ann Thompson married a Samuel Clayton at St Phillips Church Sheffield, her father is Joseph Thompson a weaver (doesn't say deceased)

On the 1871 census Samuel and Mary Ann have 2 children, plus John Henry Nicholson aged 11 and Hannah Nicholson aged 59.

On the 1881 census Samuel and Mary, are now calling John Henry Clayton?  also have 5 other children and Hannah Nicholson Mother in law is now 69.

On the 1891 census Samuel and Mary are with 3 children plus a boarder. 
Hannah by this time may have died.   And I don't know what happened to John Henry.

Also on every census Hannah was born at different places in Yorkshire.

Any help would be much appreciated
Christine

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Joseph Thompson and family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Was that marriage the only document that he appears on?
what does it give for age, parent, witness names?
Residence?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Is this Joseph and Hannah with their  first child in 1841??  Living at Windsor Street, Leeds,

Joseph Thompson 20   Linen Weaver Yorkshire
Hannah   Thompson   Female 25
Mary   Thompson   Female   1   

Kay

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I looked at that census, thought that Hannah would have to have been in labour going up the aisle to have a 1-y-old by the 1841 census. Not impossible

Did you look at the child's age  carefully?
THOMPSON, MARY  ANN     NICHOLSON      1841  M Quarter in LEEDS  Volume 23  Page 377
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
The marriage details :

2nd March 1840 Leeds

Joseph Thompson/ full / bach / weaver/  Windsor Street / father   John Thompson weaver
Hannah Nicholson / full / spin /   -       / Windsor Street / father Christopher Nicholson weaver

witnesses : John Nicholson / Mary Thompson

That fits with 1841 census.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I looked at that census, thought that Hannah would have to have been in labour going up the aisle to have a 1-y-old by the 1841 census. Not impossible

THOMPSON, MARY  ANN     NICHOLSON      1841  M Quarter in LEEDS  Volume 23  Page 377

I agree  if it is the right family  that the child would be only 1 month old at the time of the census!   The age of her is listed as one on the image - Could they have forgotten to add - months??

Kay

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1841 census is correct as their address is Windsor Street on the marriage ( see previous  reply  # 4).

Possible baptism :

Mary Ann Thompson born 21 Dec 1840 , bap. 22 Feb  1841 Leeds St Peter , Joseph Thompson , stuff weaver , and Hannah of York Road .
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cjackson100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Joseph Thompson and Hannah Nicholson
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies, I think I posted this message. and then had to go back and modify it, so I may have put some more information on but still, no more info about Joseph.

I will have a look at the witnesses on the marriage document.

regards
Chris

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 15:06 GMT (UK) »

I agree  if it is the right family  that the child would be only 1 month old at the time of the census!   The age of her is listed as one on the image - Could they have forgotten to add - months??

Kay

More than one baby in my family tree have ages as years instead of months in census transcriptions. One of them died in the month after the census; GRO index has him aged 5. I'd already found his baptism and burial record before I searched for registration of his birth and death.

1841 census was taken in summer.
Cowban