Author Topic: Trying to trace Grandad Adam Mair WW1 record glasgow area  (Read 1652 times)

Offline finding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace Grandad Adam Mair WW1 record glasgow area
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 December 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Right, I have two interests:
My grandads involvent in WW1........ progessing nicely
My family history as it relates to how my ancestors migrated from Glasgow to Midlothian (all being in the coal mining industry) my father also worked in the pits here but enlisted in the R.A.F. on the outbreak of WW2.
In the main I use ScotlandsPeople site and I have various information. As you know to veiw info on any person you need to buy credits. Until I have narrowed my search I have held off buying credits. However I now have enough to start looking at these records.

The info I have may be better set out by e-mail as it will take up a fair bit on Roots but might relate to your search

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 December 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
To kick you off, believe this is your Adam's death (had some spare credits on SP):

Adam Mair  81  Mine Deputy (Retired)  (married to Annie McDermott) died 20/10/1960 at East Fort..... (not clear) Hospital, usual residence 1 Carnethy Court, Penecuik - informant son Adam Mair of 140 St. Brides Way, Bothwell, Lanarkshire.   His parents listed as Alexander Mair, coal miner (dec'd) and Janet Mair, nee Muir (dec'd).

His parents married 26/6/1877 and census shows he was born Wishaw (actually on 4/10/1879, 25 Berryhill Row, Wishaw).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 December 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Think re army history that he is the Adam Mair, 2695/280753 of 7th Highland Light Infantry - per pension records which state his residence as Cambusnethan - he was born in Wishaw but in 1911 he and Annie were living in Cambusnethan.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline finding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 December 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Annete, thank you for this information which I already have. My grandads death was at East Fortune Hospital (Near Haddington, a fever/TB hospital now derelict). Grand paw had other children, inc Adam jnr, the others are proving a bit more difficult to trace. From what my auntie told me a bit of a mystery surrounds them

Offline finding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 December 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Indeed this information relating to his army service is correct and, from info I got from the kind folks on this site, I have gleaned a lot more. I still have lots more to find both the army history and my ancestors are linked, I just have to unravel it lol