Author Topic: Died Crag End, near Rothbury 1878, looking for a burial  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Died Crag End, near Rothbury 1878, looking for a burial
« on: Wednesday 28 November 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Background:
Thomas Weightman married Hannah Harwood, 16 September 1876 at Newcastle Register Office. He was 22, worked as a blacksmith,  father: John Weightman, a shepherd.

They had two children: Mary Ann, born Q4 1876, Gateshead and John, born Q3 1878 Gateshead
31 Dec 1881 Hannah (a widow) married John Moore (a widower) at Gateshead Register Office.
Hannah remarried 31st Dec 1881 at Gateshead Register Office, to John Moore

I can find a death registration for a Thomas Weightman, age 23, Q4 1878, Rothbury

Morpeth Herald 14 Dec 1878
At Crag End, near Rothbury, 8th inst., aged 23 Thomas, youngest son of the late Mr John Weightman, deeply lamented.
likely death reg for the father, John,  - Q4 1876, Rothbury age 53 and the probate calendar says he was late of Cragend , near Rothbury and his occupation was Shepherd.

So, if anyone can help to find a burial for Thomas and the burial record has his occupation as blacksmith then that will be the final box ticked.

I have looked but am failing.

Boo

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Died Crag End, near Rothbury 1878, looking for a burial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 18 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Happy to look at Rothbury burials on Wednesday to see if he's there

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Christine, the BTs are in Free Reg but they only go up to 1831.
If you have time to look I'd appreciate it.

Boo

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo

I can confirm that Thomas was buried in Rothbury churchyard.  His age is given as 23 and abode Crag End.  Unfortunately, of course, there is no mention of parents or occupation on these standardised records.  There are some monumental inscriptions at NDFHS and Newcastle library which might help but I don’t see mention of them being at Woodhorn.  I could check next week if I’m there.

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Many thanks for taking the time to look. I did think there was a good chance that other than age and where he was when he died there wouldn't be any other clues but it was worth a shot.

As this death registration is more or less the only show in town, I'll send for the death record .pdf. He's a twiglet so I'd rather not, but nosiness wins out over budget sometimes!

thanks again

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I could check out the monumental inscriptions that Christine mentions which are held at Newcastle library.

Will likely be able to do this at some point next week. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
If you have time RTL, that would be of interest,

though unless it mentions that he was a blacksmith, married and had two children  and his wife and family returned to live in Gateshead it may not get me much further forward  - everything is worth a shot though:-)

Boo

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I doubt you'll get all that on the death cert either whereas, if he has a headstone, it should say son of... or husband of... which would indicate whether he's your man or not

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
No I know I won't get all that on a death cert, but wouldn't it be nice ? :-) and the MI (if there is one) WILL be of interest.

Best I can hope for on the death cert is (if it is the right man and he was actually living there rather than visiting) that maybe his wife was there too and registered the death or perhaps it said that his usual address was elsewhere.
Only one way for me to find out, now you have helped me by checking the burial register, and this one has me puzzled as I can't find any other likely registration for his death and the newspaper announcement does match the right man's Dad's name and occupation.

Will take a week for the .pdf to arrive, at least till then I still have some hope of sussing him :-)
Its the glimmer of hope that keeps me going, its always nice while it lasts !

Boo