Author Topic: Died Crag End, near Rothbury 1878, looking for a burial  (Read 1390 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Died Crag End, near Rothbury 1878, looking for a burial
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Newcastle has a number of MI books.  Thanks to Christine for letting us know that they hold this one.  I think will be able to call in next week at some point to check this out.

If there is a grave stone it may not record his occupation but it might give lots of other useful information which might help identification.  I once came across a Northumberland MI for a twiglet which recorded the death also of his wife, some children and even father in law.  It also recorded that one of his daughters had died in North Shields - quite a number of miles from the churchyard where that grave was.  I was able to do much more research just from the info on that grave.  I also saw a gravestone a few months back which recorded the accident which had led to the person's death.  This was when I was looking for someone else .. but it just shows that sometimes gravestones provide so much useful information.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 December 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RTL as I say I'd be interested if there is an MI to know what it says. I checked the super gravestone photos site and they do have about 10% of the existing headstones photographed but nothing yet for this surname.

My best ever info (so far) on a gravestone is one from Rosebank Cemetery in Edinburgh. I spent a good while on my hands and knees pouring water over the (now lying flat but thankfully face up) stone and very gently wiping the dirt from it to read it. It has info about oodles of the family and was amazingly useful.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n53/

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 December 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I have just managed to make it to the Newcastle library after work before closing time.  I found this memorial inscription In volume 17 In the section for All Saints, Rothbury, Northumberland held in the local studies.

'In affectionate remembrance of John Weightman who died at Crag End November 24th 1876 aged 56 years.  Also of Thomas Weightman son of the above who died December 8th 1878 aged 23 years.  Ann wife of the above who died at Prior's Close Co. Durham Dec 29th 1901 in her 92nd year.'

The grave you have shown on your previous post is the type will all dream of finding for an ancestor -  loads of information there! :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 December 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks RTL, very kind of you to look for me.

Sadly still no clue as to whether its the same man but it was worth a shot and I appreciate your time and help, though if it isn't him Lord only knows where and when he died.
His wife and children are with her parents in Gateshead in 1881 and the census form didn't record her marital status - would have been good to see if it said married or widowed - he, he, or even separated which is always a possibility.

Her remarriage later in 1881 does declare her to be a widow though, but we all know that sometimes people told fibs.
Will wait and see what the death register entry says when it arrives next week. I'll report back!

and yes, that grave stone was wonderful !
Though the gardener mowing the grass thought I was some sort of crazy lady (an easy assumption to make). He mowed the some strip of grass about 5 times, watching closely to see what this odd woman was doing .
Okay so yellow marigolds aren't usual apparel for visiting a grave and people don't normally visit to pour water on the headstone and gently wipe it with a cloth:-) He eventually came over to enquire and I explained. I think he thought it was some sort of strange Satanic ritual! He was both relieved and very interested in just how much info was on there.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 December 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Boo.  It was worth a try even though this wasn't able to resolve whether this is the person you are after.

Hopefully, the death registration might decide things - yes, please do let us know how things transpire.

That is a very interesting story about how you got all the information from that grave stone.  It definitely sounds worth all the effort you went to in cleaning this up - when you uncovered such a result! :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I now have the death register entry from the GRO

Though it doesn't mention a wife or a 'usual address elsewhere' it does say this man was a blacksmith. His death was registered by his brother.

Added to that is the cause of death, which was pluerisy (3 months and 7 days) and acute tuberculosis (2 months). Given that, its quite possible that he went back to his parents in rural Northumberland which had cleaner, fresher air in the hope that would help.

On balance with the combination of his name, age, occupation, father's name and occupation I believe this is the record I was looking for.

Thanks to RTL and Christine for the help looking up records, its much appreciated.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that was quick waiting time Boo!

I agree that this sounds plausible that in his situation he likely would have returned to Northumberland for the fresher, cleaner air. 

I am glad to read that you now feel you have been able to pin point this man as the one, with all the evidence you now have. :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I ordered it on Wed evening, taking into account the weekend, the speed of the .pdf delivery is good.

The survey (I complete it each time I order a .pdf in the hope that they listen) has started asking if I would be interested in immediate online access when I order  - errm .. YES please!
I also ask each time if they could please include marriages in the scheme. If we keep asking maybe someday they will get round to it.

Shy bairns get nowt :-)
Boo

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 07:48 GMT (UK) »
I think, on balance, you've found him.

As for the pdf - good to know.  It makes me want to order one so I can add my requests to yours  ;D
Online access would be brilliant and marriages, it goes without saying.

Christine