Author Topic: Improving snipped press cuttings  (Read 1465 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Improving snipped press cuttings
« on: Wednesday 28 November 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a series of brief extracts from newspapers, taken by snipping tool from online newspaper sources, then copied and pasted into Word documents.
In this process they seem to acquire a tinted appearance, making them harder to read.
Is there any way of enhancing these images, or reducing the tint background?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Ainslie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Improving snipped press cuttings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried inverting the snip in Paint before you you copy and paste to word....or, download the free photo editing software called Gimp and convert to black and white. Alternatively....post it on the photo board  ;)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
GIMP, as suggested, which is free incidentally, or something similar, would allow you to adjust the contrast and or brightness using a simple slider control and it will make a big difference. I use Irfan View, again free, which is a wonderful tool for doing all sorts of clever things to images. 

I do the same sort of thing, snipping images, but I've never experienced this sort of problem. The snipped image ends up exactly like it looks on the screen.  I'm puzzled as to why you have this problem. The image should look exactly like it does before you snip.

It might help if you tried snipping a section of this Rootschat thread and uploading your snipped image so that other people can see what it looks like. 

Martin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 18 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Or you could just use the Format Picture in Word, it has contrast, brightness, presets and a few other bits.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest.  I am working my way through your comments and for now am attaching one example of the discoloured, snipped cutting.
A

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Ainslie, I think that is the right colour.  I don't think it is discoloured.  Perhaps old newspapers were not bleached like they are today.  Is that how it also looks before you snipped it? 

Martin

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes the pages are aged...Here is my adjustment for you. There will always be a little shadowing showing through from the previous page, to eliminate it weakens the black text.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.  The snip I posted looks better here than on my screen where it has a bluish tinge
Carol, can you say how you got to that b/W Version?  That would be ideal if I could use it on the other cuttings I have.
I do have Gimp but not much idea of using it.
Ainslie.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I did it in Photoshop Ainslie, I haven't used Gimp but you could look on the internet for instructions.
Carol