Author Topic: The life and works of Robert Burns  (Read 2501 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
The life and works of Robert Burns
« on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
An amazing website detailing the life and works of Robert Burns!!  Well worth a look!!

Moderator, as requested, please move this to the resources Section!  Thank You!

http://www.robertburns.org/works/
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The life and works of Robert Burns
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
An amazing website detailing the life and works of Robert Burns!!  Well worth a look!!

Moderator, as requested, please move this to the resources Section!  Thank You!

http://www.robertburns.org/works/

Thank you, some people from my research are referred to on there.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Me too PharmaT.  My Greatgrandfather was from New Cumnock, and he was a dedicated fan of Robert Burns, and has written much about him.

I have many of my GGF's own poetry and writings about Robert Burns, addresses to his local Burns' Club and other speeches and musings.

I also have a really old book that belonged to my GGF, not sure who the author was, as it's very battered, 627 pages, the book entitled "Burns' Poetical Works!  It's pretty tattered, but a wonderful thing to have been handed down to me, as well as all my GG'father's own written poetry.  I also have two books written by James Barke, THE SONG IN THE GREEN THORN TREE" and "THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY", both of theses are written in the form of a novel, so it's really enjoyable and easy to read. 
Barke has written more books, but I only have the two I mentioned!  Not in any libraries here.

As you can doubt gather, I'm a big fan of THE BARD!! 🌹🌹
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 18 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Me too PharmaT.  My Greatgrandfather was from New Cumnock, and he was a dedicated fan of Robert Burns, and has written much about him.

I have many of my GGF's own poetry and writings about Robert Burns, addresses to his local Burns' Club and other speeches and musings.

I also have a really old book that belonged to my GGF, not sure who the author was, as it's very battered, 627 pages, the book entitled "Burns' Poetical Works!  It's pretty tattered, but a wonderful thing to have been handed down to me, as well as all my GG'father's own written poetry.  I also have two books written by James Barke, THE SONG IN THE GREEN THORN TREE" and "THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY", both of theses are written in the form of a novel, so it's really enjoyable and easy to read. 
Barke has written more books, but I only have the two I mentioned!  Not in any libraries here.

As you can doubt gather, I'm a big fan of THE BARD!! 🌹🌹

One of my 3x great grandfather's was friends with Burns, he was credited with getting The Jolly Beggars published.  I took my daughters to the Burns birthplace museum and Burns Cottage the other week there and the original manuscript is on display.  They thought I was a bit strange when I told them that their 4x Grt grandfather had handled it.

On the other side of my daughter's tree her 6x grt grandfather was a ploughboy who is quoted in Burns books as the ploughboy who was with Burns when the mouse nest was overturned.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
The glossary could be improved.
Cowban

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »

You can always try this:  To use the glossaries:

if you have Javascript installed, simply hover your mouse over a highlighted word, and a new mini-window will appear; move this window to a convenient position, and its contents will change as you select each word.
if your browser is not Javascript-enabled, the highlighted words will link directly to the glossary.
Contact us:

to report corrections or suggestions, or even to offer to translate the 2000 term glossary into a new language.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Jaybeinz, Burns father as you know was from the North East and this biog' of Burns cousin Alexander Burnes from Montrose is from the pen of Craig Murray. A riveting account of this "High Flyer's!" career in the East India Company. What would the poet have made of him I wonder?

"Sikunder Burnes!" pub' by Birlinn, an ideal Xmas present!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Contact us:

to report corrections or suggestions, or even to offer to translate the 2000 term glossary into a new language, please email: comments@robertburns.org

I might do that.
Cowban

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 18 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Anything's worth a try when it comes to our genealogy! 👍👍

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections