Author Topic: Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?  (Read 117 times)

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?
« on: Thursday 29 November 18 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I recently heard from a distant cousin that one of our common ancestors supposedly died in the Siege of Malta, around 1799-1800. The man's name is Henry Nepean, born cir 1764 in Saltash, Cornwall.

I found a mention of a man I suspect to be Henry in this document (search for 'Nepean' and it shows up): https://archive.org/stream/anhistoricalmem00trimgoog/anhistoricalmem00trimgoog_djvu.txt It says he was part of the Sussex Thirty Fifth Regiment of Foot.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find out more?
Thanks
Ande

JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STARKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a file dated 1800 for a Henry NEPEAN, Ensign,  36th regiment of Foot, at the national archives. It isn't online.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13311986

There is also file dated 1898 for a Henry NEPEAN at FindMyPast.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 18 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John. I have just now placed a page check/potential order on the National Archives document.
I have the file from 1798 on FindMyPast, which is what I think you mean, rather than 1898!
Army List 1798 Transcription
First Name Henry
Last Name Nepean
Year 1798
Regiment Officers Of The Land Forces And Marines On The English Half-Pay

Actually, I just looked at a different version of the book I linked to, which had the original pages rather than an OCR transcription. It says:
OFFICERS OF THE THIRTY-FIFTH REGIMENT OF FOOT.
Nepean, Henry... Ens.(ign) Oct, 1799. From H.P. (Half-Pay?) 39th F. ; died, May, 1803.

So it seems as if he most likely did die in Malta, but a couple of years after the siege.
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STARKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.