Author Topic: Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?  (Read 830 times)

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?
« on: Thursday 29 November 18 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I recently heard from a distant cousin that one of our common ancestors supposedly died in the Siege of Malta, around 1799-1800. The man's name is Henry Nepean, born cir 1764 in Saltash, Cornwall.

I found a mention of a man I suspect to be Henry in this document (search for 'Nepean' and it shows up): https://archive.org/stream/anhistoricalmem00trimgoog/anhistoricalmem00trimgoog_djvu.txt It says he was part of the Sussex Thirty Fifth Regiment of Foot.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find out more?
Thanks
Ande

JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a file dated 1800 for a Henry NEPEAN, Ensign,  36th regiment of Foot, at the national archives. It isn't online.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13311986

There is also file dated 1898 for a Henry NEPEAN at FindMyPast.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Did my ancestor die in the Siege of Malta?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 18 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John. I have just now placed a page check/potential order on the National Archives document.
I have the file from 1798 on FindMyPast, which is what I think you mean, rather than 1898!
Army List 1798 Transcription
First Name Henry
Last Name Nepean
Year 1798
Regiment Officers Of The Land Forces And Marines On The English Half-Pay

Actually, I just looked at a different version of the book I linked to, which had the original pages rather than an OCR transcription. It says:
OFFICERS OF THE THIRTY-FIFTH REGIMENT OF FOOT.
Nepean, Henry... Ens.(ign) Oct, 1799. From H.P. (Half-Pay?) 39th F. ; died, May, 1803.

So it seems as if he most likely did die in Malta, but a couple of years after the siege.
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.