Author Topic: This 1841 Census record must be there?  (Read 972 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: This 1841 Census record must be there?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I did actually just find it when I searched on findmypast under Thomas Light who appears in the FamilySearch record (as Thos) below William. I wonder why William himself isn’t indexed on findmypast?

The William who appears in this family group is indexed on FindMyPast as William Light born 1826. The year is correct, as he is shown as 15 on the page. Strictly speaking he should be indexed as Willm.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I did actually just find it when I searched on findmypast under Thomas Light who appears in the FamilySearch record (as Thos) below William. I wonder why William himself isn’t indexed on findmypast?

Dave :)

Perhaps you put in his birth year 1820 exactly, the adult ages were rounded down to the nearest five years, so William is shown as 15, then he doesn’t show up in the index.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch gives the census ref: HO107/1074/47/15.

Family Search give the reference in a very confusing way.

An 1841 census reference should always contain (in this order)

Piece number (1074), Book number (7) Folio number (47) Page number (15)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 November 18 12:48 GMT (UK) »

He is indexed in 1841 - I just searched William Light living Chertsey reg district, the other result was the 3 year old

William Light   1826    Surrey   Chertsey   Chertsey   Surrey
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 November 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »

He is indexed in 1841 - I just searched William Light living Chertsey reg district, the other result was the 3 year old

William Light   1826    Surrey   Chertsey   Chertsey   Surrey

Thanks Rosie. For a moment I thought I was not simply losing, but had already totally lost, the plot! In mitigation I will simply say that I was being too specific. I had the baptism date from FamilySearch (1820) and was specifically searching only the 1841 Census data pages, using the broadest age range it seems to allow, +/- 5 years, and it is now clear to me that the date FindMyPast had worked out (1826) was just falling outside my search net. I need to learn to search more broadly, clearly.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 November 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
it is now clear to me that the date FindMyPast had worked out (1826) was just falling outside my search net.

In fairness to FindMyPast the age given there is exactly the same as that given in the Family Search census entry you quoted in your original posting.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 November 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
it is now clear to me that the date FindMyPast had worked out (1826) was just falling outside my search net.

In fairness to FindMyPast the age given there is exactly the same as that given in the Family Search census entry you quoted in your original posting.

I didn’t notice that maybe because I started with his baptism record and then swapped page to the census. However, you have fortunately just prompted me to revisit FS website and I have now found him in the 1891 Census too, which is great. Thanks.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight