Author Topic: Cummins - Trying again  (Read 4187 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins -
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
It was very normal for people in Magilligan to wait to middle/later age to have children. Rev Butler noted that he was concerned with the fact that the protestants were basically waiting to go to America and didn't marry.

Magilligan Presbyterian Ancestry and Genealogy book will be out in a few weeks. Advertised on FB

I seen that, although I wondered if that was a Presbyterian thing as that side of my family had a lot of females who didn’t marry, hence the lack of a presence of the “Cummins” name, today.

Does the book have additional information not in the Church Records?

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins - Trying again
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:09 GMT (UK) »
a few of the earliest records.      Book will also have rental recorsd, muster lists, lord leet lists, coi vestry, coi cess tax

1814 Aug   Rachael Cumins   David Cumins   Rachael Mc "Ivor"   Tircrevan   Dunboe
1815 Jun 11th   James Cumins   William Cumins   Mary McG_____   Tircrevan   Tircrevan
1817 Feb 28th    William Cummings   William Cummings    Mary McGranaghan   Tircrevan
1818 Nov 11th   William Cumins   David Cumins   Rachael McIvor   Tircrevan   Dunboe

unsure what you have seen so cant say?
Yes this was normal for all the protestants to marry late

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I think i’ve seen all of the church records and the Muster Roll, alongside the 1831 census but not the rest of that.

It is difficult to track my surname because it seems to have changed spelling quite frequently.  And now we’ve learn’t that there was two branches in the area, so that will be an added difficulty.

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I think i’ve seen all of the church records and the Muster Roll, alongside the 1831 census but not the rest of that.

It is difficult to track my surname because it seems to have changed spelling quite frequently.  And now we’ve learn’t that there was two branches in the area, so that will be an added difficulty.

Certainly noticed the spelling changing, the whole time.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is difficult to determine the original surname. (It may not have been Cummins, at all).