Author Topic: Cummins - Trying again  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins - Trying again
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Owen C
Just to echo Shanreaghs observations re James Cummins fathering children with large age gaps between them my2X Great Grandfather James Cummings
 ( Born 1838 son of James Cummings & Sarah Jane McLaughlin) married Elizabeth Mc Dermott in Tamlaghtard RC Church in 1871. They had 8 children. James was a Pork Butcher by trade and moved around a bit from Limavady to Derry then on to Ballymoney, Co. Antrim .Elizabeth died in 1898 and James remarried again in Ballymoney on January 30th 1900 to Beatrice Ellison and 8 more children were born from that marriage. So indeed there were large age gaps between the siblings in that family.

Do you know what occupation your James Cummins was? could he have moved around because of his occupation?

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Also all the Cummings's of Tircrevan and Ballycarton had origins in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Also all the Cummings's of Tircrevan and Ballycarton had origins in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Where did you get that information from, Summerhill? I have done a y-dna rest, so that will be confirmed if it is true.

Regarding his vocation. I don’t know but it does appear that he had a lot of daughters and had more than one wife.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Got that information from another cousin who has done extensive research into the Cummings's of Tircrevan & Ballycarton. George Cumming was born in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland in 1778 his parents were David Cumming & Elizabeth Lang. George came over to Limavady about late 1790's- early 1800's. Married Elizabeth Taylor and died at Ballycarton in 1854. (They had 3 children  David , James & Mary.) I am descended from James.

David Cumming & Elizabeth Lang had about 12 children spanning 20 years. George was their 4th child.  If you do a search on Scotlands People you will find all the children of David & Elizabeth Cumming. They were Presbyterian and married at Paisley Kirk Low Parish about 1776.

I have also sent you a personal message.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Who then are the Cummins in the 1740 Protestant census?  It looks like there may be two branches in Magilligan because I do not share any cm's with you on Gedmatch, unfortunately.

I am thinking that is why your surname is spelt differently.  But very interesting that your relative was able to find that out.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Im sorry I have no idea about the Cummins's on that 1740 Protestant census.
But although there were several Cummings/ Cummins 's in Magilligan perhaps your branch originated in England?  The London Livery Company were granted large tracts of Land in Londonderry during the plantations.

Its a pity about Gedmatch too.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
But although there were several Cummings/ Cummins 's in Magilligan perhaps your branch originated in England?  The London Livery Company were granted large tracts of Land in Londonderry during the plantations.

Thanks Summerhill, that’s fine. I always knew there was a Cummings family in Limavady. I always get people asking me if I am related to them. I questioned it but couldn’t find any link. It makes sense now why the surname is spelt differently.

I think my family would’ve came over in the early 1600’s from Scotland.

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins -
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
It was very normal for people in Magilligan to wait to middle/later age to have children. Rev Butler noted that he was concerned with the fact that the protestants were basically waiting to go to America and didn't marry.

Magilligan Presbyterian Ancestry and Genealogy book will be out in a few weeks. Advertised on FB

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »

Magilligan was always Church land, The livery companies had no influence in Magilligan other than the movement of people from there neighbouring lands