Author Topic: Ipswich, Soup Institution  (Read 121 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ipswich, Soup Institution
« on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I have just started researching a Quaker family with the name of Liversedge. I have come across a donation or subscription of 2. 2. 0d to the Soup Institution, Ipswich (The Ipswich Journal - Saturday 04 April 1801). Does anyone have any idea what this might have been about? Was it to help the poor or possibly to support Ipswich men who were prisoners of war? Thanks
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ipswich, Soup Institution
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
From the The Ipswich Journal - Saturday 26 December 1801
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
From the The Ipswich Journal - Saturday 25 April 1801

Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification. I had read on Google about a soup institution for helping prisoners of the French War.
I suppose this was the early version of the soup kitchen. They must have been raising extra money as this was his second subscription (April 1801)
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire