Author Topic: Henry Mobbs, born in Norfolk mid 1830s  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Mobbs, born in Norfolk mid 1830s
« on: Thursday 29 November 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Henry Mobbs was born in Norwich in 1867. His parents were another Henry Mobbs and Joanna Lovick, married in Norwich in 1866. On the 1891 Census the younger Henry is with his uncle, Charles Lovick, a french polisher. I am trying to discover the birth and parents of the older Henry Mobbs. On the 1841 Census there is a Henry Mobbs aged 4 in Yarmouth, his parents being Edward Mobbs, a shoemaker and Hannah. Is he the right Henry? That is the question. There is no record of a baptism and he is very elusive on Census returns. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Mobbs, born in Norfolk mid 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Henry Mobbs was born in Norwich in 1867. His parents were another Henry Mobbs and Joanna Lovick, married in Norwich in 1866. On the 1891 Census the younger Henry is with his uncle, Charles Lovick, a french polisher. I am trying to discover the birth and parents of the older Henry Mobbs. On the 1841 Census there is a Henry Mobbs aged 4 in Yarmouth, his parents being Edward Mobbs, a shoemaker and Hannah. Is he the right Henry? That is the question. There is no record of a baptism and he is very elusive on Census returns. Any help will be appreciated.

It's actually the 1871 census that he's with his uncle.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi from 1851/61, Joanna Lovick b c 1844 Norwich with brother Charles occ French Polisher with family.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I, too, can only find Henry in 1871 with Uncle Charles. I can't see father Henry anywhere other than the dubious 1841 sighting you mention. I can't find a Joanna Mobbs either. However I have found Joanna Lovick in 1851, St John's Madder Market, Norwich with brother Charles and mother Charlotte plus two other siblings. Charlotte is married but no husband with her. In 1841, St Johns Madder Market, I can find Charlotte, son Charles along with husband Charles whose occupation is Waterman. If Henry Mobbs was also a Waterman this may explain him not showing up in any Censuses, likewise his family - they could have been anywhere.

Emeltee
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I think you will need to purchase the marriage certificate of Henry Mobbs and Joanna Lovick - there are too many possibilities for 'Henry Mobbs' - alas, it doesn't seem to be available online.   You need to know his occupation, name of father.

You can't pick the one in Yarmouth just because this is the only likely candidate in Norfolk - Henry could have come from anywhere before marrying in Norfolk 1866.

You can't research a family on the basis of a 'guesstimate'.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 Henry is with his mother who is shown as married but listed as Anna.

1871 Census - Bermondsey

Henry Mobbs   30 (?hard to read)     Commercial Traveller    born Brackley, Northamptonshire
Anna Mobbs    28                                                               born Norwich, Norfolk.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Keybob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a Henry Mobbs baptised in Great Yarmouth 2nd June, 1847, born 24th March. His parents were William and Sarah. [I believe it is Sarah = handwriting]. The maiden name of Henry Mobbs mother is shown elsewhere as Berry.
Halsham Collinsons

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Henry Mobbs born 15/12/1841, bp.26/2/1842 Brackley, Northamptonshire, son of Elizabeth (illegitimate).

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Annette,  many thanks. It was clever of you to find them in Bermondsey! It would explain why Henry jnr was with relatives in Norwich in 1871.