Author Topic: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed  (Read 6223 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto
"
"
"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I've recorded and watched the first two but won't bother with any more. Very little depth to it as others have said.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hate to admit it, I've just watched part of episode 2 (couldn't bear to watch it all) - not changed my opinion at all   :-X :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Did they have a similar programme last year?  It sounded familiar so I didn't even bother to record it, knowing the one I remember wasn't worth watching.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I've recorded and watched the first two but won't bother with any more. Very little depth to it as others have said.

Same here  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I watched it today whilst having my lunch. I get the impression that, as with most so called 'experts' they're mostly telling people what they already know and embellishing it with a bit of visual flim-flam! As in today's piece of Stewart tartan; picture of some Polish soldiers in Blackpool, and a freshly made 'widow's penny' to 'replace' a lost one!

Its really a programme for the dabbler - one lady who was a self-styled explorer wanted to know if she might have inherited her wanderlust from the grandfather she never knew. However, she can't have wanted to know that badly as she hadn't previously been aware of his parents' names which, of course, would have been readily available via a birth certificate!

Its all very twee and not at all what we Rootschatter would appreciate. I might bother again whilst I'm nibbling at my crumpets, but I wouldn't bother otherwise!  ::) ::)

Incidentally, why hasn't my  ::) got his santa hat on yet?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 December 18 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the show that neayou I cluded the story of Lottie Roberts and Leo Selwyn  ...I helped  richard tisdale history producerresearch  for BBC radio shropshire  because our research coincided looking for Lottie in 1901

TV decided not to use that story

BUT radio Bristol has taken up the story ...it's a really great listen a d there was a blog ? With account. Any ideas g pics and  viewers comments

Can anyone find out what time bbc radio Bristol  history  program is orifice it's 5 episodes on  a general show ...and what frequency to tune in 

I agreed via RT to be interviewed on phone Fri eve ...presumably at end of last program  live

So now I.have to find all myour notes ...there is a thread on hear 
With leo selwyn  handcuff King who could be great grand father but unlikely.
Age mismatch and newspaper photo doesn't matter how the 1 we have on  his WW1 registration docuz

If you do listen please remain open minded and reme5newspapers have always liked eye grabbing words

My aunt was really pleased to. Think her gran  could have been  an actress or theatre dressmaker like the great aunts
Assistant to a Houdini. Welsh version ....musical era 1900

And believes she was a  ...social    ....helping g sine mums a d barely couples

Sorry if typos ..using mobile a d visual not good to check
B
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I haven't watch it yet, so will reserve judgement until I do.

Like most of you here, I would like a programme with some really in-depth information about the research, and where the information comes from. It's why I get a bit frustrated with WDYTYA, where records magically "appear" via the hands of an "expert". But to be fair to the makers of WDYTYA, they're trying to appeal to a large number of viewers with varying levels of genealogy knowledge, and making the programme I want would probably push their viewing figures down considerably.

I reckon they should make episodes of WDYTYA Extra (on the red button straight after the episode) with more detailed information, perhaps interviews with the researchers about their work, or something like that.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 December 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I hate that they make it seem so easy -- and so people sign up and copy copy copy and then say Well I have finished my tree.   Without one piece of documentation..

or PROOOOOOF  it is so so difficult and these so called clever Researchers that charge a fortune are chasing the same avenues that we are and getting the same results, so can make the same errors.. similar ....POB's and DOBS' and cousins named as cousins...  Mary Jane Smith born 1867 Wykin village and in the next street is her cousin with the same name and blow me down the  parents have similar names.. etc.......

Tell the truth.. NO  they cannot sell the prog with the truth.. or else I would NEVER have spent money on DNA testing.

xin