Author Topic: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed  (Read 6204 times)

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I was looking forward to this but I'm afraid I gave up half way through. I thought it was rather superficial and presented information without any proper explanation of how it was arrived at. To be fair it was never going to present in depth investigation into the subjects in the time available - maybe   it would have been better with fewer people.

Others may well differ , but this one's not for me.

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Totally agree Christine :(

Considering we were aware they were looking for people who had a question regarding a family history query, I found it all rather weak, too many different lines being followed within one program. The lady with Russian heritage could have had one program all to herself and hopefully the experts explains where they got the info from!

Also where did they find letter from the King? (Man wanting to know what his father did prior to coming to the UK) and what about his new found sister?

Rootschat helpers give a bettter response. :D
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 December 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I switched it on............... watched the intro........ and felt.... oh dears coming.. So switched it off.. will try again later.

xin

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 December 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I was looking forward to this but I'm afraid I gave up half way through. I thought it was rather superficial and presented information without any proper explanation of how it was arrived at. To be fair it was never going to present in depth investigation into the subjects in the time available - maybe   it would have been better with fewer people.

Others may well differ , but this one's not for me.

Christine

I watched to the end, but I agree. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I watched about 80% of the programme; not for me. No real depth to their results.

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I agree - it was superficial and there was little explanation given as to the documents found.

However, I didn't expect much more, really, so I quite enjoyed it in a superficial, unexplained way!! Its a bit like Antiques Roadshow except the people bring their old family history queries instead of their old family curios.  ;D

An in-depth research project into my 2xgreat grandfather's disappearance would probably not appeal to your typical 1pm type of viewer.

I wouldn't make a point of watching , and I certainly wouldn't bother recording it, but if I'm in , I'll probably tune in after Neighbours!!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
OOOOPs    too quick to judge with my earlier post. and my mood was not the best... (  :-\ :-X)

I havent caught up on replies..

BUT I enjoyed it... well I must have cos the tissue box is empty..

AND I was searching the faces   - to see how many possible Rootschatters...

OK   now I will read others thoughts

;D ;D ;D ;D
xin

Yes it was superficial... but for the world out there that is what they expect..  and you just watch how many more are going to go on Ancestry and find the perfect documents straight away!!!!  they really are 'cant think of the right word' selling themselves.. did I see an ethnicity page....

it was fun ... lighthearted and fun 

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Watched it.... left me feeling very disappointed and won't bother again.. one long daily Ancestry.com advert is all it seemed to be
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
My apologies - I didn't watch it, so I'm not talking from first-hand experience.

BUT - Blimey - are you never satisfied?  You don't like the "celebrities" and now you don't like the "riff-raff".

It's a TV programme - since when do they dig very deeply into any subject - they're for ENTERTAINMENT  :-X :-X :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY