Author Topic: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed  (Read 6172 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 December 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Brigidmac, the programme is on Channel 4, not a BBC production.

Yep, got to agree it’s just one big advert for Ancestry services, from DNA to hiring their own professional research services, hence not being too detailed over which databases their are finding the information. 
I did notice on the second episode they mentioned a Sydney Herald article... one that is on Ancestry worldwide package ::)  When we all know that Trove has the best and ‘free’  service.  They also skipped the British Newspaper archives on one or two searches,  they must have used them to get further along.

To use an antiques roadshow/flog/Family History fair style production is just plain wrong and boring, there is no way research can be squished into this set format as we know everyone’s family history is a different and interesting story. 

If anyone from the production team or Ancestry reads RC the they should take note, the problem is not with the ordinary folk or their stories being showcased as they are all (well nearly all) interesting and have a tale to tell but the production format is so wrong. They are clearly not showing the people’s own research as they are pushing their own Ancestry research service.  The house histories series is a much better format but I would suggest only one or two stories per episode.

Personally, if one of the big genealogy companies want to make a decent series on one of the smaller channels or pay networks then make it an educational style one... showing exactly how to research the tree from the beginning how to pick up hint and tips etc, where to look etc., one story per week building up to the more difficult areas of research.  Include  a small Twitter/Facebook/email section giving hints on where to look etc on one off public questions., (similar to the letters section in the FH magazines.  It’s never going to be an entertainment style programme in the same way as WDYTYA with celebrities, exotic travel and high production costs.

Just my thoughts
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 December 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
But we know that most people taking an Ancestry dna test are not interested in their families or family history as evidenced by the number of test takers without trees so these programmes are obviously not going into depth about sources otherwise, as said previously, they would seriously reduce the number of viewers.

Also, most RC'ers will know what went on behind the scenes to find the information so not at all sure that I want to see that every single programme.

To me it was entirely watchable whilst ironing, eating etc and that's what I will continue to do.

What I didn't like was the response to the person who was seeking her GGF who went on ship, she thought to New York and never returned to his family.  Although they were able to confirm that he was on a ship to Cuba they then went on to tell her that he had obtained work in a mine in Cuba, although he was a cook (I think) and must have died in Cuba, not able to return to this family in UK.  To me that was one almighty big piece of conjecture.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 07 December 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
What I didn't like was the response to the person who was seeking her GGF who went on ship, she thought to New York and never returned to his family.  Although they were able to confirm that he was on a ship to Cuba they then went on to tell her that he had obtained work in a mine in Cuba, although he was a cook (I think) and must have died in Cuba, not able to return to this family in UK.  To me that was one almighty big piece of conjecture.

Pheno

Not quite. Virtually all of it was in the letter which the person already had, but presumably had never read.
Of course that puts them in the same category as the host of folk who dump things unread into their trees on Ancestry.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 08 December 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
OOO h   well todays programme, may well have included someone I have been in touch with or a member of their family

Mr Toon

Kinghton

I saw Bradgate park in the background..

Where are you now Mr.  Toon ?  we were in touch when i was working the Patricks and co some time ago now..

I was wondering if it was one and the same man.. but then realised the chap I was in touch with had a lot more Knowledge of his family tree than the one on the programme..

xin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 09 December 18 03:20 GMT (UK) »
To me it was entirely watchable whilst ironing, eating etc and that's what I will continue to do.

I have a selection of shows specifically for when I'm ironing, and this is now one of them.  Not one I could sit down to watch like WDYTYA, but reasonably entertaining with no requirement to concentrate.  I usually skip through the preview at the beginning but did see a snippet of a George Clooney look-a-like I'm quite looking forward to  :D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 13 December 18 04:40 GMT (UK) »
I  have finally seen an episode on sisters tv ...i enjoyed it .

Think it will bring new people to genealogy and dna testing .tho a bit contrived and repetative at times .i was tired when.i watched it but look forward to other episodes

Im glad my family story isnt on there the radio is a great media and we can do it in episodes .

I had to ring bbc radio Bristol in vdefence of 1907 criminals Lottie R and Leo S ...because they had kept the sensationalism of newspapers at time and not included hostorical context as the original programmer on bbc shropshire had .

Thats another thing the story always continues but will the TV show present follow ups ..further relatives ...etc
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 13 December 18 05:14 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Ps if you want to listen to bbc radio bristol history story its on playback adam crowthers show just after 7pm on 3rd 4tht 6th 7th dec on the friday he interviews a descendant of missing baby then at 8.30pm. He interviewd me.. 
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 13 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
I caught a few minutes of this show on episodes 1 and 2 and didn't like it at all, (format, the laughing at everything by the people and excessive repetition were factors), however since then I've watched more (while waiting for countdown) and have found it interesting - mainly I think from the human interest stories and the dna connections. 
Also the stories have obviously meant a lot to the people who asked.

It's good if it brings more people to an interest in geneaology.

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 14 December 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I have recorded this programme. I agree about the repetition and the plugging of Ancestry.
I watch them but whizz through any bits that do not interest me. 8)
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->