Author Topic: This week's RT DNA article  (Read 1781 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: This week's RT DNA article
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 November 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Its a pretty straightforward Q & A about DNA tests. I'd say its mainly for absolute beginners. It mentions a few of the main research sites but there's nothing there that the vast majority of Rootschatters won't already know.

Its really to 'promote' a new 15 part series on Channel 4 called My Family Secrets Revealed which 'helps connect members of the British public with their past.'

Its on Mon-Fri next week at 1.05pm (each episode lasts 1 hr 5mins). As an e.g. the blurb for the first one reads ' ..beginning with a man finding out if his estranged father really was a WW2 hero'.

Might be worth tuning into to see if its worth sticking with?!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 November 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for adding some detail Jill, familydar you could have added some detail to your topic  ???

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 November 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Title of the article is "Are you related to royalty?" Author is Sarah Williams, editor of "Who Do You Think You Are?" magazine.
The Q & A isn't just about DNA. Other questions are cost of researching family history and how to find out about a family member's WW1 service. As Jill said, it's for beginners and to promote a new series, understandably, since it's in "Radio Times". I'll pass it on to someone who's starting out.

I buy "Radio Times" every week. (Articles are interesting and I listen to a lot of radio so other TV guides are of limited use to me.) However, I didn't realise that "RT" in thread title referred to "Radio Times" - I assumed R was for Roots something.
Cowban

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 November 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I'll consider my knuckles rapped and try to be less obtuse in the future.

It seems I'm in the minority here.  Whilst I agree it's aimed at beginners I find it a bit exasperating that the article suggests DNA tests are good for ethnicity and if you don't want to be troubled by all those pesky cousins just don't make your results public (is it really that easy?  Then why do I have so many matches who have no interest in FH?).  And the caption beneath the photo of a crowned Danny Dyer saying he's descended from royalty.  Didn't that episode of WDYTYA say one of his distant rellies was related to someone who married someone who was related to royalty?  Not quite the same thing.  Or was I the only person who picked up on that?

I'll get down off my soap box now.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 June 21 07:52 BST (UK) »
I'll consider my knuckles rapped and try to be less obtuse in the future.

It seems I'm in the minority here.  Whilst I agree it's aimed at beginners I find it a bit exasperating that the article suggests DNA tests are good for ethnicity and if you don't want to be troubled by all those pesky cousins just don't make your results public (is it really that easy?  Then why do I have so many matches who have no interest in FH?).  And the caption beneath the photo of a crowned Danny Dyer saying he's descended from royalty.  Didn't that episode of WDYTYA say one of his distant rellies was related to someone who married someone who was related to royalty?  Not quite the same thing.  Or was I the only person who picked up on that?

I'll get down off my soap box now.  Jane :-)

I happened to catch a re-run of the Danny Dyer WDYTYA a couple of days ago.
What I thought the researchers said was:
1. DD  is descended from  daughter of Thos Cromwell.
2. The son of TC married into the Seymour family, who were descended from Edward lll.

That surely DOES NOT make DD descended from Edward lll, and even if it did, it doesn't make his lovely wife an actual princess, anywhere other than in her own head!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 June 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
If I understand correctly, Danny is descended from both the son and a daughter of Thomas Cromwell. I didn't see the programme. There's an article about it in "The Genealogist" online magazine.
Cowban