Author Topic: WWI - uniform identification/dating  (Read 550 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: WWI - uniform identification/dating
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 December 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Ha...no the MOD most definitely don't have any kind of refund, they make sure that is clearly stated on the website!  ;D

How can you tell that he went onto the Z list? Shouldn't the abbreviation ARZ show on his medal card? (I must admit I had to google what the Z list was, and found this reference ;) )

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-medal-index-cards-1914-1920/

"ARZ - Class Z Army Reserve. In December 1918 soldiers being demobilised were first posted to Class Z. They could return to civilian life but knew they were obliged to return if necessary. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920"

So, if he was back in Dundee in 1920....you think he was as reservist that was called up to go to Ireland for a bit? If he continued with the service, would he have had to sign on for a certain number of years?

Sorry for all the questions!! I think I am getting myself more confused  :-\
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth,Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: WWI - uniform identification/dating
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
The Z list was specifically for a return to hostilities should Germany kick off again.
The Army was keen to retain men post war & offered a 25 Bounty to any serviceman that did.
If he was back in Dundee in 1920 he either extended his service but was discharged shortly after or he didn't.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.