Author Topic: WWI - uniform identification/dating  (Read 2044 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: WWI - uniform identification/dating
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 December 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Ha...no the MOD most definitely don't have any kind of refund, they make sure that is clearly stated on the website!  ;D

How can you tell that he went onto the Z list? Shouldn't the abbreviation ARZ show on his medal card? (I must admit I had to google what the Z list was, and found this reference ;) )

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-medal-index-cards-1914-1920/

"ARZ - Class Z Army Reserve. In December 1918 soldiers being demobilised were first posted to Class Z. They could return to civilian life but knew they were obliged to return if necessary. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920"

So, if he was back in Dundee in 1920....you think he was as reservist that was called up to go to Ireland for a bit? If he continued with the service, would he have had to sign on for a certain number of years?

Sorry for all the questions!! I think I am getting myself more confused  :-\
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: WWI - uniform identification/dating
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
The Z list was specifically for a return to hostilities should Germany kick off again.
The Army was keen to retain men post war & offered a £25 Bounty to any serviceman that did.
If he was back in Dundee in 1920 he either extended his service but was discharged shortly after or he didn't.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/