Author Topic: New marriage license records at Findmypast  (Read 2070 times)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
New marriage license records at Findmypast
« on: Friday 30 November 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
This appeared on "Findmypast Fridays" today:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/britain-marriage-licences
Britain, marriage licenses
Findmypast is excited to bring you some of the earliest marriage records we hold with records from as early as 1115. Fifteen English counties are represented including London, Lancashire, Suffolk, Exeter, Lincoln, Yorkshire, and more. Marriage licenses will reveal your ancestor’s intended spouse, father’s name, and the intended marriage place.

Locations are a bit limited, but I've found quite a few of my Suffolk relatives already. I've been a bit frustrated with Findmypast's lack of new records recently, so this is a move in the right direction. :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New marriage license records at Findmypast
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Wish they'd spell Licences properly though.

Melbell  :'(

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
It is good to see a bigger database on FindMyPast released. Nice to get Suffolk and Sussex in the list, as well as Gloucestershire.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
The Suffolk ones appear to be published transcripts which have been available to view for free elsewhere for some time anyway.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Wish they'd spell Licences properly though.

Melbell  :'(

My mistake. Was typing in a hurry. Slightly embarrassed because I usually pick up other people on their spelling errors. (Or there errors... ;D )
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The Suffolk ones appear to be published transcripts which have been available to view for free elsewhere for some time anyway.

Ditto for Sussex?
Calendar of Sussex marriage licences.....
https://archive.org/details/calendarofsussex01chicuoft/page/n13

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I looked at some of these today. They were from publications of Paver's Marriage Licences.
Don't forget to look at the image as well as the transcription. I've already sent a correction...

Venelow

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully, I'll be able to find out the name of my 11 x g.grandmother. 

I know all about 11 x g.grandfather, born 1505 Suffolk, died 1558, buried 1 March 1558 in Westerfield, Ipswich, Suffolk, but I can't find out the name of his wife.  He was a church warden and yeoman.  I've even got his will and  strange man that he must have been he leaves bequests to his sons John and George, (well he leaves them his land, but apart from a small acreage that they live on, it has to be sold first for £400 but if the sons choose to buy it they only have to pay £350, if they choose not to buy the land, then it can be sold to the highest bidder and they will receive some of the proceeds. 

He leaves small bequests to his daughters Agnes, Elizabeth and Mary (Marie), then more bequests to John and George, then to 2 daughters of his son John,  then another bequest to his son George's godson, then to 2 godsons, money to be given to them on their marriage, then another bequest to "every one of my other godchildren", then another bequest to his son George, and, finally he remembers his wife.  Unfortunately, he doesn't name her, he just calls her "my wife" and not only that he only gives her money from his sons' land  and if she keep herself a widow, the best parlour the salon over that, the buttery and the salon over that.  And if she marry, I will that she shall not meddle with the house.  And the mean man that he was,  if she didn't agree to his terms, then she would lose everything and also he takes from his daughters everything he's given to them, except from 100 marks each, everything else going to his son George.

Nice man  ??? ::)  I've got lots of wills from a similar period, but never have I read one that is so obviously chauvinistic.

I really would like to find out the name of his long-suffering wife.

Interestingly, about 6 years before his death he had signed over the Manor House where he lived to his eldest son John.  John was the exact opposite of his father.  In his will, he transferred the manor to his wife so she could bring up their daughter's children (the daughter being feeble minded).  Only after his wife's death would the manor pass to their eldest son. There's another story as to how and why their feeble minded daughter came to be married with children.